Lots of good news and a little bit of frustrating news, I guess.
I'll start with the frustrating news. I'm still pumping at 14 months, however my supply is SO low. I seriously consider stopping just about every day. I get maybe 4 oz a day if I'm lucky, pumping about 45 minutes total. Some days I doubt that's even worth it, and some days I just want to hold on until his surgery. So who knows what'll happen. The good news is he is doing well on mostly whole milk, and he is also eating SO well. The boy can pack it away. He even had chicken and fries! All kinds of veggies, fruits, cheese, nut butters, etc. He's almost 24 lbs!
So some good news. Last time I went to the surgeon, I asked him if I could talk to another mom who has been through this surgery. (Which is 4 weeks from yesterday!!) He put me in touch with a mom who had two kids with cleft palates (out of 4). That kind of scared me a little but I guess I can't worry about that now. She was SO encouraging! She said her kids both got to go home the next day, and were feeling better very soon after surgery. She even said they didn't mind the arm restraints after a few days, and just kind of adapted. She said her 4 year old has graduated from speech therapy and speaks very clearly. Her 2 year old is saying quite a few words too. I felt a lot better after talking to her, and now I just want the day to get here so we can get it over with and move on!
Other big, huge news over here is that I did not register Madeleine for kindergarten, so we are officially starting out homeschooling! I am really excited about this. She is doing so well, we have more good days than not, she soaks everything up like a sponge, and she loves "school with mommy" as she calls it. John Paul is participating and listening in more and more, and it's interesting to see some things he learns just from being around. Madeleine is about halfway through first grade reading, so I guess we are going to do a kindergarten curriculum (Probably Our Lady of Divine Grace) but use the Catholic Heritage Curriculum's second grade reading program? She is flying through the first grade program. I don't even have to tell her any of the words. It's really amazing. She is working on writing and spelling too, and loves our math workbook as well. After a few years of really discerning and struggling with this decision, I feel very at peace now. She is turning 5 in just a few weeks. I just can't believe it. I was just thinking about Valentine's day 5 years ago. I even blogged about it! Ken got me a sling and we were weeks away from having her. It was very exciting :)
Today she was very naughty at bedtime. I sat her down on my lap and had a talk with her. Afterwards I said, "Do you know that Mommy still loves you?" She looked up and said, "You do?" I told her I would love her forever no matter what she did. I want her to be a good girl, but no matter what she did I would still love her. I also told her that Daddy, John Paul and Leo would always love her, and most importantly, God would always love her and always forgive her if she asks Him. Then I told her how happy we were when she came into our family. She said, "Were you sad before I got here?" I told her we were, and she said "Did you pray for me?" I told her we did. She got a big smile on her face. Then she said, "And I prayed for John Paul and Leo! And now I'm asking God for a baby sister! I think God knows I have enough brothers." :) (No baby sister yet, in case any of y'all are wondering!)
11 comments:
Oh my. Can you come live next to me and tell me how to raise Hannah to grow up to be just like Madeline? That would also help with the whole Leo marrying Hannah thing.
And sorry to hear your supply is suffering! NO ONE would fault you for stopping now-but I have a feeling you would regret not keeping it up to give it a go after the surgery. Leo is so blessed to have you!
Maybe I should have mentioned the huge fit she threw in the shoe store today :)
Could you get M to Skype into my classroom? She sounds like the model student!
ps She could say a prayer or two for me! I know she's so good at praying for babies!
Sorry the supply is waning. Have you taken a pregnancy test:) Maybe that's why!
I cannot believe I've known you for 5 years:) I remember desperately reading your blog to find another new Mom to connec to and I did!
And I always knew you'd homeschool. You are a natural! And with such smart kids it will be even easier!
Oh, she is just darling. :) And that is so reassuring, what the other mom said about the surgery! Leo will just fly through it, I just know it. :) That kid's a rock star.
You are something else, chick.
:)
Love this update!
Yay! Thanks for the update. Your pumping is just amazing. Now matter what you decide now, it will be the right decision, as you have more than paid your dues in breastmilk!
I'm sure Leo will do great with the surgery, and I definitely understand your impatience to get past it. I am also someone who likes to get "unpleasant" things over with ASAP!
Madeline is adorable. I'm guessing she's actually reading well beyond even a second grade curriculum, just based on the videos you put up. She might not even need a formal reading curriculum- you could always just do a formal spelling curriculum, which will catch her up on any rules she might not yet know for pronunciation.
Ok, sorry, didn't mean to give my two cents up there, haha! You are going to be a great homeschooler!!!
p.s. If you want to increase your supply, you might want to look into a medication called motilium. It is sold in Europe as an anti-nausea med, and has the bizarre side effect of increasing milk supply. Unlike the other galactogens on the market, it has NO NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS! You can get it online without perspription, and while it would be expensive to take for a year or two, it might be worth it for just a coupleo of months to bring Leo through surgery and the end of flu season.
Monica - I tried Motilium/domperidone after adopting Henry and it did not work for me... The other problem is
that you CANNOT get pregnant while taking it,
it is a Level II pg risk drug with serious concerns
for birth defects... I mentioned this to Beth and
she decided to not take for now...
Carla - Henry's mom
Post a Comment