Thursday, June 28, 2007

One Year Ago Today

I took my very first positive pregnancy test.
(Yes, that is the real thing. I kept it. I'll admit it.)
It was the day before our 4th anniversary. I was only on CD 29, and it had been exactly two years since we had been actively trying. That month we had said a novena to St. Anthony together, specifically to conceive a child. I had one test left, and I woke up knowing that I was going to take it. I told myself that I'd be ok if it was negative again (I'd taken lots of negative tests before.) But I did want to be able to tell Ken on our anniversary if it was positive, and I didn't want to wait until the next day and be disappointed, so I went into the bathroom and took it. It was immediately positive. I was standing at the sink, and I started shaking. My knees almost buckled. I wanted to tell Ken so badly - he was standing in the next room ironing his shirt. But I didn't. I wanted it to be special when I did tell him.
After he left, I called my doctor, the reproductive endocrinologist who had been treating me for endo. They said to come in for a blood test. I did. I was at the pool later that day when they called me and said the pregnancy test was positive. I was amazed.
Later that day, I drove with Ava to Babies R Us to get this bib for Ken.
While I was driving, I heard Blessed Be Your Name on the radio and started crying.
I cooked him a nice dinner, and told him I wanted to give him his present one day early. I gave him the bib all wrapped up in a box. We rejoiced together!

How our lives have changed since then!

7 comments:

B-Mama said...

What a beautiful story! Praise God for the life of your little girl... Blessings.

Brenda said...

Cute! We have a similar story. I found out on my 27th bday and had suspected it several weeks earlier but about 3 negative tests kept telling me different. But my chart said I should be. We went through this everymonth and Che was used to seeing negative pregnancy tests in the trash. We had tried for 2 years and I have PCOS and he has only 1 good swimmer apparently after testing. I couldn't wait to tell him and it was a great birthday present. And I kept my test too. All FIVE of them. Che made me take 4 more that day b/c he didn't belive me or trust the tests!

nicole said...

That is a great story. We don't have any stories like that because we always are surprised and end up being together when I take the test. I would love the opportunity to have a story like that someday though.

xxxxxx said...

I can relate! We have been trying for 4 years, right after my third was born. We can hope, but I am getting up there in years. Babies are blessings, no question about it.

Kathryn said...

HOW did you manage not to shout when you saw it positive!!! I'm so impressed by your self control, because you gave Ken such a wonderful memory! I love this story, thanks for sharing!

Kathryn

Kristen Laurence said...

I just love this story, Beth! It is just how I used to imagine announcing such news to my husband. What a beautiful mother and wife you are!

Ouiz said...

I'll admit it... I saved all my pregnancy tests too (wrote their names on it and everything). It's funny when you think about it, though... what am I going to do with them? Put them in a scrapbook? Hand it to them when they are older? ("Here honey... here's the stick I urinated on to show that you were here!")

I'm laughing, 'cause I can't imagine the kind of reaction THAT gift would receive!

But, we're moms, and we're entitled to save these things, right?