Thursday, May 24, 2007

NOKIDS

Mom and I were driving downtown one day to go to confession at St. John's. We got there, and there was a huge line, as there is most every day. Madeleine behaved herself for most of the time, but then when there were about 2 or 3 people in front of us, she started fussing. Mom and I started bouncing her, handing her back and forth, trying to calm her down. The people in front of me let me go in front of them (how nice!) I went in and had a quick confession, as I could hear her crying in the church. I left the confessional, took her from mom, and went outside to the van to feed her and say my penance. I didn't mind having to hurry in confession, and I didn't mind saying my penance in the car instead of the beautiful church. God has given me this gift and I am very happy to do all the work involved, and maybe miss out on a thing or two.

On the way home, we saw a very expensive red sports car. (Who knows what kind it was?!) There was a youngish guy driving it, and his license plate said NOKIDS. At first, I was thinking (and probably said out loud) - "Why don't you hang a sign on your car that says 'I'm so materialistic that I would turn down God's greatest gift for a stupid car?'" But then I got to thinking. He may think he's happy now, with his money and his "carefree" lifestyle. But he can't take his material possessions with him when he dies. When he's home by himself with all his things, he probably feels a little empty inside. He doesn't understand that true joy comes from living the way God wants him to, and from things that are not of this world. So mom and I said a quick prayer for him, and I thanked God for reminding me that "things" are not what is important. When I got home I gave my sweet daughter a big kiss and hug.

Please God let me think of him when I start grumbling about getting up at night, or having to eat my cold dinner in two minutes, or change yet another diaper or outfit, or not having any extra money. Because she is the greatest gift I could ever receive, and I get to take her with me.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Red sports car?
I guess he went with "NOKIDS" because "SMLPNS" was taken.

Ouiz said...

Wonderful post, and good to remember on days when we find ourselves having to die yet again to all OUR wants and desires...

I'm afraid I'm still a mighty big whiner ("But Loooooooooooord, I don't waaaaaaaaant to have to do this today.....")

FloridaWife said...

Can you imagine any body he tries to date (who would want kids)? Or if he's married, how does SHE feel.

Hey, you're tagged for a meme I have on my blog if you want.

Sweetness and Light said...

Ma Beck, ROTFLOL!! Too funny! Beth, your points are so well stated, and perhaps someday he'll trade in his car keys for the keys to heaven!! I'm so glad we're already out of the starting gate, takes some people a little longer! Nice blog here, blessings!