Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Summer days

Sometimes it gets really frustrating around here.  It seems like I'm constantly breaking up fights, listening to tattling or whining, cleaning up messes, doing laundry, and it NEVER ENDS.  There is always more to do.  I get one meal done and served and cleaned up and it's time for the next meal.  Someone always needs something from me.  Someone is always making noise.

Then sometimes I get a glimpse of a peaceful loving family.  Kids who play nicely together and make up elaborate games in the backyard.  Kids who love each other so much.  Leo who adores his big sister and wants to do everything with her - including their new favorite chore; collecting the trash.  A big brother making his baby sister laugh and laugh.  I know these are sweet days that won't last forever.  Days when all my kids are little, days when my kids fight over who gets to sit in my lap and hug me.  Days when we don't have all kinds of scheduled activities and can pretty much do what we want every day.  Days when I can bring the kids to the candy store, spend $1 and make their day.

I remember once putting my kids in the car at the grocery store, and an older lady came up to me and said, "I would give all the money I have just to spend one day with my kids again these ages."  My friend's dying grandmother was talking about when her grown children were toddlers - that was what was on her mind in her last days.

So Im enjoying these last few weeks of the summer of 2013.  These days will never come again and I will miss them when they are gone.







5 comments:

Erin said...

What a sweet post. I'm not a Mommy yet but I feel like I know what you mean. All your children are so beautiful, it's so great that you can stop and appreciate all the small but special moments especially when things get overwhelming. I also had to smile when I saw your daughter reading Little House on the Prairie. I used to love that series when I was little. Seeing that picture makes me want to go back and reread it :)

Meredith said...

So, so, so, so true, Beth! Thanks for the reminder! They are precious at this age, though being so close to the mess and noise of it sometimes makes us lose sight of how sweet they are. The moments of clarity and gratitude are graces, for sure.

9peasMom said...

This is so true Beth, and such a good reminder - we've had a string of the days mentioned in your first paragraph but I know those other kids exist too and will make an appearance today!

Mrs. Waz said...

Yep, John Paul has Cousin David's hair. Hey, JP the ladies love it!!
Just ask David. Love, Aunt Felicia

ourbakersdozen said...

Or you can do like me and keep having babies until the oldest ones are having babies and your youngest is 4 months YOUNGER than the first grandchild... Best of both worlds!
:-)
Seriously though I am making a big effort to make sure I am paying attention to the last four... all too soon they will be teens... and then in college and then....