Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Surprise!

Leo and I had a great weekend! We had the opportunity to fly down to North Carolina to go to Dorothy's baby shower and surprise her, then we crashed at her house til last night ;) Other than the craziness we experienced traveling there and back, we had a fantastic time.

The plan was for us to get up at 3:30am on Saturday, get a 6 am flight to DC, then an 8:45 flight to RDU, then D's sister was going to pick us up and get to the shower at 11, and it started at 12. Perfect plan. Unfortunately, that did not happen. We got on the 6am flight, then it started snowing. They had to de-ice the plane, which took 30 minutes. Then we got out on the runway, waited too long to take off, and they had to bring the plane back to the gate to get de-iced again. By 7am they made us get off the plane and switch to another one. Oh also, apparently if you try to take breastmilk through security, they think you're a terrorist. They did so much testing on it I thought it probably wasn't safe to give him, so I really didn't give him any of the milk I brought. So we got on the other plane, they had to de-ice it as well. We were two hours late taking off and missed our connecting flight in DC. They also took us to the wrong terminal, so I had to go OUT of security and back in, where they did more tests on the milk and extra patdowns for me. I also was wearing Leo in the Moby wrap which was under a sweater. They made me take him out, then said I had to take off the sweater and wrap and put it through the machine. I had already put the carseat and stroller through the machine, so I asked a security lady to hold Leo while I stripped down. She wouldn't. And NO ONE offered to help me at all. It was quite interesting trying to hold Leo with one hand, take off my sweater and untie my wrap to go through security. We got on an 11am flight and I had not pumped since 3:30am. It was PAINFUL. So I got out the hooter hider and the hand pump, while holding Leo, and this old guy in front of me turned around and started this long small-talk conversation. I learned that I can't really small talk, hold Leo, keep the hooter hider in the right place and pump at the same time. I hope the guy didn't think I was too rude. I tried my best! He had no clue what I was doing. Also, Leo decided to fill his diaper at this time and the flight attendants would not let me get up. So he got changed on the seat next to me. P picked us up and we got to the shower right as it was ending. But it WAS fun to surprise Dorothy ;) And I had a GREAT time hanging out with her and Lucy for two days. She looks beautiful at 36 weeks pregnant and Lucy is such a sweet, fun little girl. She got all kinds of attention wherever we went because she is so cute and smiley. Love her! Plus I had such a great time hanging out with Dorothy. It was definitely like a vacation with only one kid! Plus the weather was amazing! We got to hang out outside which was wonderful after our recent weather. Thanks for everything D! ;)


Leo was the perfect little traveling companion. He could not have been ANY better. Love him!


The flight home was a direct flight last night. It was supposed to leave at 5:30 and get to Indy at 7:15. Oh how perfect. I got Leo on the plane in his carseat, he was fast asleep. I had gotten a chicken wrap and a drink and was all settled in to eat it. Ken was planning on picking me up with the kids. That was too good to be true. There was a mechanical problem with the plane and they made us get off with all our stuff. They had already taken my stroller so there was no way I could go anywhere with the carseat and 3 bags. We sat at the gate for 2 hours while they worked on the plane. I needed to pump so at one point I had to carry everything to a bathroom to do that. We finally got back on the plane and arrived home at 9:30. My goodness! I was so happy to see the kids! Apparently they really missed me. Mom said when John Paul saw a snowman he said, "He's crying." Mom asked why the snowman was crying and he said, "He can't find his mommy." How sad!
Also today Leo is 2 months old. Already! How did that happen? He's so happy and smiles at everyone. He wakes up either once or twice a night. Not too bad! I'm also pretty proud of myself that I've pumped exclusively for two months. It's been hard, but I'm getting into the groove now. My goal is to pump until he turns one, then I'll see how we are doing. If I can keep going until his surgery I will. If not, I'll give myself permission to stop after his first birthday. He is happy and healthy and thriving! He looks so much healthier than he did the first month.

14 comments:

Little JoAnn said...

Perfect traveling companion. This guy is too amazing for words. You sound like you had a great time. What a brave, traveling Momma!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Oh my gosh, I am having an anxiety attack just reading this. You are a brave and amazing woman!!!!!!

And I am so glad you had a great trip! I love the snowman story...awww!

(Leo is the cutest baby ever.)

Monica said...

Oh boy! The security stuff is ridiculous. You must look REALLY dangerous, what with your two month old and BREASTMILK. Sheesh.

I'm glad you had a safe trip and that Leo was such a trooper through it all on the planes! He is SO CUTE.

... said...

What a crazy travel experience. I'm so glad you made it there and had fun with D. Leo is a cutie!!!

Veronica said...

Beth!! You are so much tougher than me. Glad the trip still turned out good. Leo is so adorable, and I'm proud of us both for pumping! It IS a pain but worth it for our babies.

Brenda said...

Whew, I'm exhausted just reading that! You and Leo are troppers for sure!

And yes, MANY congratulations for all that pumping! You are amazing!

Julie said...

Happy 2 Month Leo!
It was nice to see you and the kids yesterday! I hope Bella didn't pass her germs on to you guys!! Good thing I didn't touch Leo!

Cathy said...

I can't decide if you are brave or a lunatic.
I'm leaning towards "lunatic."
LOL!

You're on one end of the spectrum - then there's me, who refuses to fly standby unless there are at least 5 seats open. In first class.

I know!

Glad you had a great trip and Dorothy looks SO GREAT!!

Sew said...

I'm with C....I only flew standby as a flight attendant to NYC because there were every hour on the hour flights out of DC. :) I hate flying standby so you are brave, but you didn't have any issues getting seats which was awesome...

Ack John Paul makes me want to cry he is so cute!

JellyBelly said...

Glad you had fun despite all the travel craziness!!!!!

Beth said...

Oh there were plenty of seats on all the planes. Weather and mechanical problems. And tsa.

Nicole C said...

Ummm...hello?!?! Next time you're out east, COME VISIT ME!!! :)

That last pic is insanely adorable, btw.

Ouiz said...

I admire you for flying, but hearing about your experiences just makes me want to SCREAM! I would NOT have been nice. Oooohhhh....

This is yet another reason why I will not fly.

Megan said...

Wow! Sounds like a wonderful trip despite the travel issues! I can't believe the security people wouldn't hold Leo for you!
Glad you are home safe! :)