Thursday, February 24, 2011

More on feeding Leo

Are you guys getting tired of hearing about this yet?

He's doing so well with his Special Needs feeder, gaining weight, eating well and going through a growth spurt right now apparently. I'm definitely keeping up with pumping and produce more every day than he eats, so I have quite the supply in the freezer. So that is all going well. I gave up dairy to try to help his fussiness. It seemed to help, he started sleeping better during the day and night and was more alert, happy and calm when he was awake. I cheated a few times this past weekend and TOTALLY regretted it - he was so fussy. So I won't be doing that again.

The other day I tried a regular bottle nipple with him, thinking for sure he would be able to do it. But he could NOT do it! I was totally shocked. I guess I shouldn't have been, but I was. He couldn't get anything out of the bottle. I put his regular nipple on that bottle and he sucked it right down. I guess it's just weird to me because he LOOKS totally normal. I forget he has a big issue. Sure it's fixable but it won't be fixed for over a year. I'm nervous about his surgery and recovery on one hand, but on the other I can't wait for it to be over.

As much as I miss being to breastfeed him, there are definite advantages to him taking a bottle. Madeleine sometimes feeds him for me especially if we are trying to get out the door. I put him in his carseat and she loves holding the bottle in his mouth. Ken can feed him in the middle of the night while I pump. If he wakes up twice, Ken finishes feeding him and gets him to bed once, and I take over after pumping the second time. It's really nice to be able to go straight back to bed after pumping the first time! I was able to take the two big kids to the dentist and leave Leo with mom, without worrying he'd be hungry. I'm finally really getting used to pumping as part of my day, and I'm comfortable taking the hand pump if I'm going to be away from home for more than 3 hours. I have pumped in numerous places - maybe embarrassed my mom a little at the Children's museum ;) I've gotten through 11 weeks of exclusive pumping and I know I can make it at least a year. There are definite issues I never thought about as well. For one thing I am never sure how much to give him. Sometimes he eats 4-5 oz and sometimes he eats 2 1/2. And sometimes he just wants a LITTLE bit. I don't want to waste any so I usually end up refilling his bottles several times a day. Also I am really not sure if I'm going to be able to use my freezer supply, since it's only good for 3 months. I'm afraid to give it up in case he needs it, but I am also running out of room.

OH, and I don't know if it's all the pumping or the dairy-free diet, but I now weigh less than I did when I got pregnant with Madeleine. Hopefully I can lose at least another 15-20. I'm feeling good!

8 comments:

Monica said...

I am so impressed by your dedication to breastfeeding. Leo is a lucky little guy! I can imagine how it might feel, to dread the surgery but also want it done and over with.

Julie said...

Funny how you failed to 'confess' where your new favorite (i.e. dangerous) place to pump is! HA HA!

Beth said...

Then I'd have to say where I got that idea from! Lol ;)

Amy D said...

I pumped part time because I went back to work, and wanted my baby to have breastmilk bottles. It's a little inconvenient, but you may want to use some of the freezer stash (as opposed to the fresh milk) a couple times a week. That way, you can add what you pumped for that feeding into the freezer, and it will "restart" the clock. As the baby gets older it can get a little harder to keep up exclusively pumping, so you may need extra milk after all. Also, your cycles may return quicker than if you were breastfeeding, and during your period your milk supply will go down a lot (and you'll want to use the freezer stash).

I admire your dedication!

Jenni said...

WHen I had to pump for Jude I would put the fresh milk in the freezer and use some of the frozen milk unless we were out somewhere. This way I never had to toss out any.

Mary said...

I love the fact that you are able to find positives in everything :)!

Hug that little boy for me please! kiss his little cheeks and say "Aunt Mary loves you!" :-D

Kathryn said...

Your dedication to breastfeeding is amazing! Saying some prayers for Leo, he is precious

E said...

I never tire of hearing about your kiddos! You are so dedicated, totally an inspiration.

Our little E sometimes doesn't take a whole bottle either. Don't know what is up with that. But bottle feeding definitely has it's advantages. Glad you are hitting a stride!