Wednesday, January 05, 2011

The Whirlwind is calming down

Leo is 4 weeks old today and things are finally started to get back to "normal." He is fitting right in with our wild and crazy family. Although the past few weeks have been hormonal and stressful in part, it's also been wonderful. What a blessing it was to have a little baby boy at Christmastime. One of my favorite memories was on Christmas Eve night. Madeleine and Ken went to mass, and John Paul was asleep. I just got to hold my sweet newborn Leo in the family room with only the Christmas tree lights, and imagine how Mary must have felt memorizing the face of Jesus, as I was doing the same thing with my baby.

Feeding Leo has been quite the adventure. I have been seeing a great lactation consultant at the hospital every week and she has been SO helpful. Every once in a while I have been ready to give up trying to breastfeed him and just pump and bottle feed, but he keeps improving. I am happy that I have been able to pump for him for 4 weeks and he has never had to have formula. I plan on pumping for him for at least a year, possibly longer if I can. I'm finally getting the hang of it. He's also improved with breastfeeding so we are going to try to start using the Supplemental Nursing System this week. So I still have some hope that he will be able to breastfeed some eventually.

He is getting bigger and stronger. He started out 8 lbs 12 oz, got down to 7 lbs 7 oz, and then Monday he was up to 8 lbs 2 oz and today he was 8 lbs 6 oz!

He is absolutely a wonderful baby, sleeping well with the Miracle Blanket, loves being in the Moby wrap, and just as cute as can be. Madeleine and John Paul are doing fantastic. Madeleine can't get enough of him, always wants to touch him and kiss him, and her favorite thing is to help me give him a bath. John Paul is doing surprisingly well, he also loves touching him and is learning to be gentle. He and Madeleine have been playing together and maybe watching a little too much TV when I am busy pumping and feeding. I was able to take all three of them to Target the other day and get everything on our list with no crying, screaming or yelling - and the kids were good too ;)

I just love Leo so much - It's amazing how love just multiplies with each child.
Please keep praying for us. I know so many people are praying for us and it's helping!!

5 comments:

M,E,JP,J,L,I, and S's grandma said...

Mom is praying every day...and using my new Christmas rosary! You are doing great baby girl! You (with grace) can do anything!

Julie said...

Praying for you!

Awaiting a Child of God:) said...

You went to target with ALL three! Woman, I can't even go successfully on my own...hahaha. I'm always indecisive, taking FOREVER, and I always forget something!

So happy to hear you are doing so well with the new little addition:)

Megan said...

So so so glad to hear that things are going well! You have been and will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

It's only going to keep getting better from here, whew!

You are rockin' motherhood!!!