Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What, is 3 the new 10?

I went three places today. The library, Chick fil A, and the mall (and had an iced soy chai at Borders - YUM!) At all three places people asked me incredulously, "Are they all yours??" and I also heard several times, "Boy, you sure have your hands full." I guess I never thought of 3 kids as a big family, although maybe three kids aged 3 and under looks like a lot. Also I probably look pretty funny with the way I have to cart them all around. The first two places I put Leo's carseat in the stroller, held John Paul on my hip and let Madeleine walk. At the mall I put the two big kids in the double stroller and Leo in the Moby.

Yes, they are all mine, and I am thrilled about that! And yes my hands are full, but not as full as I'd like ;) They make me die to my own desires (and sometimes needs) on a daily basis, and that is a good thing! I truly believe that being a mother is making me a better person. I would not trade them for anything in the world.

In other news, I must be a little on the sleep deprived side these days. Last night I came down for the second time to pump, around 4:30. I set my stopwatch app on my phone, hooked up the pump and relaxed in my chair. The next thing I knew, Ken was holding Leo right in front of me saying, "What is taking so long?" I looked at my phone.... 68 minutes. Best sleep I got all night!

14 comments:

Jenni said...

Apparently now a days everyone is only supposed to have 2 kids and of course you are supposed to have 1 boy and 1 girl. It is ridiculous.

I love your little family and I can't wait to see how God will grow your family!

Love you guys!

Thankful said...

Hold on...did you pump for that long? Either way, congrats on the sleep! ;-)

Mary said...

haha I love the sleepy story ;)

3 is apparently the new 10. When I tell people that Ryan and I would LOVE to have AT LEAST 4 children, and would be blessed and grateful to have LOTS...well they look at me like I have 4 HEADS. ;)

Megan said...

So crazy! I hate the look of pity, and I only have two! I always say, "They keep us busy, but they are so much fun!" I probably repeat this same comment at least twice a day if we are out and about. RIDICULOUS.

It was fun having you at play group today! :)

Monica said...

One of my (secret) reasons for wanting a third is just to flaunt the "2 kids is the right amount" stereotype.

Your family is precious, and I hope you have 10 more!!!

ourbakersdozen said...

TOO FUNNY! I TOTALLY get the sleep deprived thing! Hehehe.

Yeah - three is the new ten. Now that I have teens in the house I rarely get that now - except when we attend a new church with the nine at home all with us. Sad though that we still get those questions... at .. church...

Praying for continued blessings for you and Leo!

Veronica said...

Nothing wrong with ten! ;) I have fallen asleep pumping many times! You must have a pumping bra?

Beth said...

Yes I love my hands free pumping bra!

Julie said...

When I was leaving the mall yesterday and putting Bella in her car seat, the guy next to me was waiting to get in his car, so I appoligized for being in his way and he said "no problem, you have your hands full"

Cathy said...

Mum, we went to a "close" church not long ago. After mass, an older woman walked up to us and said, "a boy and a girl! you have the perfect family."
I was taken aback but managed to calmly say, "Nahhhhh, the perfect family is five or six MORE."
I was defensive and irked she said this at CHURCH! Imagine my surprise when the NEXT thing out of her mouth was, "oh, YES! I have nine!" Then I said, "im the 9th of 9!" And we had a great time talking about families of nine, ha!
I know what she meant, but it was just such a secular thing to say!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Dontcha love it? HA! Wait'll you have eight! Then, they actually start rooting you on to have ten! :)

Awaiting a Child of God:) said...

hahaha. that is so funny you fell asleep pumping...didn't that hurt!

I hope to have a basketball team or more so bring it on GOD!

Beth said...

After 37 months of breastfeeding and 6 weeks Of pumping, pretty much no feeling anymore :)

E said...

LOL! I can't imagine how much self sacrificing happens with three, I am trying with just one! You go, girl!