For John Paul, that is! I'm kind of excited to start feeding him solid food. I'm going to try to hold out until he's 6 months, but if we start a week early it'll be ok - that is what we did with Madeleine. I really enjoyed making baby food for Madeleine, and I get to do that again soon! I actually picked up this great mini food processor thing today on freecycle, since our Magic Bullet bit the dust after months of continuous use. I think I'm going to start with bananas and sweet potatoes this time and just hold off on the rice cereal. Then I'll get to make him some fresh purees - all kinds of fruits and veggies for a while. It's so much fun to introduce them to new flavors! Hopefully he is a good eater like his sister. That kid loves so many things that kids don't normally enjoy I think. The kid ate half an acorn squash tonight, along with some great spiced lentils with carrots, onion, garlic and kielbasa over brown rice. She also loves artichokes, asparagus, and all kinds of fish. She eats anything we cook for ourselves. I hope she keeps this up!
Yesterday we went to a new Mom's group at a different church. They had babysitters in a room with a bunch of toys. As soon as she saw the toys she ran over and started playing. Almost all the other kids were crying because they didn't want their moms to leave. My girl did NOT mind that I wasn't there for an hour (we were just in the next room, but she didn't know that!) Later she said, "Mommy, all the kids were crying! I don't know why they were crying!" She did great and played well with all the other kids. I think she is developing some really good social skills and I'm proud to see that. She is kind and is good at sharing - most of the time! She really enjoys playing with other kids now. And I'm glad she feels so secure that she doesn't mind when I'm not there for a while.
John Paul on the other hand contributed several times to the conversation in the Mom's group. That kid is a talker!
5 comments:
Great to hear you had a good Mom's group today and that M did well in the childcare! We have a similar situation, and though Isaac had a hard time separating the last couple years, we finally have it, and it's so nice to say goodbye and know that they'll be fine! Simon has no clue I'm even gone...just focuses on the toys.
I was the same as you with the second baby: skip the rice cereal to start and do bananas and avocados. I'm not sure that I'll start with bananas again, since it plugged him up for about 9 days, and then we had to introduce prunes! To this day, though, the kid loves bananas.
Okay, but beware of the coming advice:
You NEVER start with sweet things! You get them to eat peas and other disgusting whatnot first and then introduce sweet stuff.
(Not my advice, but I read it. Mary will eat anything, so frankly, that theory is out the window.)
C
Aaaand, a brief Google shoots the "sweets" theory right out of the water:
Breastmilk is FAR sweeter than peaches. If you have been breastfeeding, your baby has already been exposed to sweets, per se, and starting with bananas or peaches does no harm..
C
I just read that avocados are a great first food, and that the baby's first food should be my finger :) We gave Madeleine avocados pretty early on and she loved them.
Don't worry Cathy, we'll do green beans, peas, all that stuff too. Hopefully he's as good of an eater as Madeleine (as in, not picky!)
I LOVE making baby food - squash, plums, pears, apples, sweet potatoes, etc :)
LOL, I'm not worried - I'm worried about the onslaught of advice you'll get!
:)
Yep, Mary loved avocados from the get-go.
That's a great first food.
C
Post a Comment