This discipline technique of not yelling, calmly placing the child in time out really seems to be working! I don't think I've raised my voice once since my discussion with my friend last week. Raising my voice was not working to get her attention or get her to stop what she was doing anyway. So now if she is doing something she is not supposed to be doing (or NOT doing something - like coming when I call) I give her one warning and if she doesn't do what I tell her I get up and immediately lead her to her time out chair. After two minutes I go over to her and say "Mommy put you in time out because...." Then I give her a kiss and a hug and let her go on her way. Most of the time I only have to ask "Do you want to go to time out?" and she will do what she's supposed to. Also if I am out of the room when she does something she's not supposed to, she will come to me and say "I don't wanna go in time out." I ask her what she did and she tells me! Yesterday we were at my mom's house and she took something out of the kitchen she wasn't supposed to and took it into the family room. I told her to go put it back and she said "NO!" I immediately got out of my chair and she hung her head and said "Time out" in a sad voice. I think this is great! She knew exactly what the consequences were going to be. I'm definitely going to keep this up. It does involve a lot of "getting up," in other words hoisting my extra large frame out of the chair, but I think it will be worth the extra effort.
So, in diapering news, I did decide to put her back into cloth diapers. The price of the pullups was killing me. And actually, she is doing better than ever! She usually doesn't wear anything at home and never has an accident, so I only put her in diapers when we go out. I still take her to the potty and she normally only has 1 or 2 wet diapers/day. I feel better about saving money and I'm really glad this hasn't made her regress.
And speaking of cloth diapers, I cannot WAIT to order tiny ones :)
8 comments:
I wish we could get Mary to even give it a try. Maybe we should try a different kind of potty chair.
That is fantastic!
We did your time out trick this weekend. And well it was a revolving door but it was a lot of fun! We saw improvement in them after about the 5th time out. They hesitated before they did something. It was so awesome! It was a lot of fun putting them in time out! :) hahahahaha I finally got to be the parent! ha! I thought this is so cool I am not the one in time out, he could sit there all day! ;) Just kidding!!!
I can't wait for you to buy little ones either! ;)
this is so Supernanny and I love it!
and oooh how cute little cloth diapers must be!!
can't wait to see pics of them on your little guy
Beth that sounds like the same sort of discipline we've been using for C. Though I need to get better about just putting him in after one warning. As time has gone on, I've started giving more warnings and raising my voice, etc. Back to the basics!!
We use Love and Logic parenting, and your method sounds similar. It works SO good for us too, and I am a much calmer mother because of it! :)
All I can say for both bits of news is AWESOMENESS - or as Elsa (3) does a BIG THUMBS UP! She loves to do that when she is happy about something or expressing pleasure or approval. I will never forget her thumbs up when asked what she thought of her new baby sister Cecilia. :-)
AWESOMENESS again!
Blessings
Christi
She tells you?!??! This IS great. I'm remembering all this for when Raffaele is a little older. At what age do you suggest starting this discipline technique?
Floridawife, I'd say anytime between 18 months and 2 you could start. My friend suggested strapping littler kids in their highchair or a booster chair for time outs if they won't stay. M usually stays in her chair for the full 2 minutes. If she doesn't I set her back in the chair and reset the timer!
Post a Comment