Sunday, February 22, 2009

Fun fun.

So, Friday night I see a few ants in the downstairs bathroom. Ken kills them with some kind of kitchen cleaner and a few paper towels. Then, he flushes them and the paper towels down the toilet.

On Saturday morning I go into the kitchen. It's completely flooded. So is the living room. So is the downstairs bathroom. Ken shopvacs up all the water and I call my brother to borrow the carpet steamer.

Then, we learn that whenever we turn on the kitchen sink, dishwasher, my upstairs shower or flush my toilet, the toilet downstairs overflows again. Suddenly there are ants in the kitchen too.

I have to go to the bathroom. So does Madeleine. Number 2. SEVERAL times on Saturday AND Sunday. The kid decided she loved beans this weekend. Luckily she hits her potty every time. (She's actually doing BETTER wearing her cloth diapers than she was in her pullups. She's only had about 2 accidents all weekend and that was when we were out.)

While the house keeps flooding, I call my dad. My mom and dad are at the Saturday night 5:30 mass but I text them to come over on the way home. Dad says we need a plumber.

Sunday morning we call Rotorooter. They come and can't seem to find the pipe outside that goes toward the house. They quote us $1600. Ken sends him away, goes outside and finds the access under our porch in about 5 minutes. I spend most of the day trying to keep a curious toddler away from the ant traps and changing her socks when she walks through water. Oh, we also have a mouse in the garage Ken's trying to "catch."

Luckily, Ken's toilet and shower seems to be working ok, so we have been using that. But we haven't done any laundry or dishes all weekend.

We called a different plumber and he is coming tomorrow morning at 9am. PLEASE God don't let it be too expensive and PLEASE let it be an easy fix......

6 comments:

Jenni said...

And I want to buy a house?

Angela said...

That stinks! We had similar issues about a month ago, I started the washing machine and both toilets randomly overflowed. There was water under the tiles in one of the bathrooms, and we had to replace the only 3 year old floor.

Hope everything goes well tomorrow!

Sew said...

I am so sorry! That is such a pain!

House repairs like that feel like an intruder! I am so so so sorry! I bet you feel like your whole life is a mess!!!

Becky said...

Ok i would have to say it was the paper towel. Your septic system is probably clogged. I would try buying some rid-ex to see if it can eat the paper towel or something. You might need your septic tank pumped. We have really weird septic tanks down in Fl since our ground is sand and they cost a fortune.

mum2twelve said...

Are you on a septic tank or town sewage? Quite likely it is the paper towels - regardless of what you are on. Get some Liquid Plummer or Draino and pour almost half the bottle down it. Wait until morning before trying to flush again. These agents will break the paper towel down. Have you heard of a snake? Perhaps your dad has? It is a plumbers tool you might be able to borrow/rent/buy if you are on a septic system that can help unclog the pipe from the house to the septic tank. (I am not sure it can be used from inside the house...) We have been on septic tanks more than we have been on city sewage systems, so we have a lot of experience with this. If you are on a septic tank - it is possible that you need to have it cleaned/pumped.

here are some links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumber%27s_snake

scroll down this one to get to toilets (step 5)
http://www.acehardware.com/sm-unstopping-clogged-drains-toilets-and-sewers--bg-1280888.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_397_plumbers-helper-snake.html

prices for a snake
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1280069&CAWELAID=109351723

GOOD LUCK! Any plumbing Saints we can all call upon to help Beth and family ???

blessings
Christi

Veronica said...

Hope it goes well Beth! Thankfully Paul is good at fixing this stuff (though he'd sure rather be doing just about anything, hehe!).