Monday, November 03, 2008

Praying, praying....

Tonight we said extra bedtime prayers. When I laid her down, I told her that tomorrow was a very big day for our country - that we were choosing a new leader. I asked her to say a prayer and ask God to help us choose the leader that HE would want. I know she can't understand everything I said, but I also know that her prayers are very special.

"When the time comes, as it surely will, when we face that awesome moment, the final judgment, I've often thought, as Fulton Sheen wrote, that it is a terrible moment of loneliness. You have no advocates, you are there alone standing before God -- and a terror will rip your soul like nothing you can imagine. But I really think that those in the pro-life movement will not be alone. I think there'll be a chorus of voices that have never been heard in this world but are heard beautifully and clearly in the next world -- and they will plead for everyone who has been in this movement. They will say to God, "Spare him, because he loved us" - and God will look at you and say not, "Did you succeed?" but "Did you try?"~ Congressman Henry Hyde

God help us tomorrow.

12 comments:

Karey said...

That's a really beautiful image!

As for the election, I'm scared to death. I can't believe it's here (and yet this campaign seems like it's lasted a decade!). While I was super pessimistic the past few weeks, I now have a renewed sense of hope that an upset could happen. I'm off to pray!

Cathy said...

Lord Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

FloridaWife said...

God help us tomorrow, indeed. I have been feeling so sick these days thinking that someone who supports allowing a baby to die could possibly win this election. Sick, sick to my stomache.

Jeremiah 29:11 said...

Awesome quote!!! Thanks so much for posting it. :)
Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for our country.

Heather said...

In Jesus name, Amen.

LifeHopes said...

Yes, we're praying down here!!!

Thanks so much again for all that you did to help out Indiana.

I KNOW it will pay off today.

Jenni said...

We are also saying a little prayer for today!!

Jen L said...

I'm nervous for today, but I'm praying hard and wearing Red! All things are possible with God.

Cathy said...

Thought I'd pass this along. It brought me great peace:

http://theanchoressonline.com/2008/11/04/stop-freaking-out/

Amy @ This Cross I Embrace said...

The election is officially over, but I just now read the quote you posted yesterday... and just when I had finished crying after McCain's speech, you've got me crying again. I truly, TRULY believe those words. And I wonder how... HOW will those who put this man in office answer THEIR questions from God?

Cathy said...

Am I the only one who is pondering whether this IS some sort of divine retribution?
I don't want to sound dramatic, but no great civilization lasts forever. Just ask the Aztecs or the Mayans or the Ancient Romans.
A free republic - a good idea on paper, but human beings in their fallen nature are MUCH too stupid to ever make it work, longterm.

We have murdered as many people as Stalin now. Am I the only one who thought, "He's probably not going to let this go on forever."

I don't know. I'm trying to understand, and that's all I've got so far.

You reap what you sow.
And we have sown a godless, murderous, self-absorbed, self-important infantile nation.

andnotbysight said...

What a great quote! I think it's so great that Madeline prayed about this. It's very cool that she'll grow up not remembering ever being taught how to pray--it will be something she's always known.