Thursday, November 13, 2008

I need a nap.

I cannot BELIEVE how much this kid has been awake over the past few days! She has had a cold and a fever, and her nose has been totally stuffed up. I've learned that a stuffy nose and a little girl who sucks her thumb are NOT compatible.

So Tuesday night I was changing her into her jammies, and she started violently shaking like she was freezing! I touched her belly and she was burning up. So I took her temperature and it was over 102 (I couldn't get her to keep it under her arm long enough to get the true temp.) So I gave her tylenol and she slept pretty well that night. Then yesterday she took a 20 minute nap. Then last night was one of the worst nights we've ever had since we brought her home from the hospital. From 7:30 - 12:30 she was up every 10 - 20 minutes screaming and crying. I tried saline and suction with her nose, more tylenol, sitting in the bathroom with the hot shower running, drinking water, etc. Nothing worked except just holding her and rocking her until she went back to sleep. Then she'd wake up 10 minutes later and we'd start it all over. Finally I gave her tylenol cold/cough and she slept a little better after that, thank God. But she was still up every hour or two through the night.

So then she woke up as happy as can be this morning! SHE was happy and seemed well rested. I needed a venti starbucks (which I did not get!) I just needed it! I thought for SURE she'd take a good nap after that night. I bought a vaporizer, rubbed baby vicks on her chest, used the saline, etc and she was exhausted. I laid down in my bed right after I put her down, and she was up 30 minutes later!!! WHAT?!

THEN, I put her to bed tonight at 7:30, and she has been talking and singing up there for an hour and a half! What is going on? I need sleep!! After The Office I am in bed, hopefully for the night this time! Please God!

7 comments:

FloridaWife said...

That's pretty exhausting. I find myself wondering HOW on earth babies can possibly be getting any sleep with all the wake ups. It's just amazing. I hope she is sleeping well tonight and that YOU are in bed right now resting beautifully.

Ouiz said...

Ooh. Babies and colds are a yucky combination!

May God have mercy on you this evening, and may you BOTH get some serious rest tonight!

Kathryn said...

Those are hard times!!! I pray that you can get a nap today, and that she sleeps good and sound this evening!

Veronica said...

Hope you got some rest last night! That is much like what we went through with Leo and his sinus infection. Prayers for health and rest!

Jenni said...

I guess I have always thought that babies just naturally napped. BOy was I wrong. E took a total of 10 minutes of naps yesterday, but he is sleeping better through the night. I sure hope that M gets to feeling better soon so you and baby six can get some rest. :-)

Brenda said...

I was up til midnight! Playing stupid computer games too. Will I never learn to GO TO BED when my child is in bed? Hope you had a better night.

bren j. said...

Eesh! I hope you got some sleep last night afterall. We've used the vicks lotion quite a bit last time the LG got sick. I'm glad I finally thought of it. It helped her sleep much better. When I was little, my Grama used to slather that stuff (but the yucky, more vaseline-y kind) on my chest and throat and then wrap it all in a worn cotton rag. It felt so gross, but I felt so much better. Tried and true that stuff is.....