Monday, October 06, 2008

I had a good post in my head

Yesterday I hit 12 weeks and Madeleine hit 19 months. But I spent most of the day praying to the porcelain god, so the post did not happen! I'm still praying for all your intentions :) And I do see the light at the end of the tunnel now - I know I'll feel great in less than a month. Then I can just start worrying about the election...

I talked to Grace (the 9 year old I watch) about the election today. She asked me who I wanted to win and I said "McCain, of course." She said her mom wanted him too, but she didn't really care. So we had a little discussion. I asked her if she knew what abortion was, and she said yes, it's when moms can kill babies before they are born. (Good Catholic school she goes to.) I told her that McCain wants to stop this, but Obama wants to make sure that anyone can do it. She could not BELIEVE that someone would actually WANT that - or vote for Obama when they knew that. That's right, kid. Then later she asked me if Obama wanted to do anything else. I told her that he wanted to raise our taxes so we have to pay more of our money to the government and not get to keep it and choose how to spend it ourselves. She couldn't believe that either. She said, "WHAT? So we won't have a nice house or nice things?" Well...... we'll see about that. I didn't want to scare the kid TOO much :) I am pretty sure that our kids will be pretty politically savvy early in life, thanks to my husband. That is ok. I've learned a lot from him over the past 8 or 9 years! He seriously knows EVERYTHING about politics. He can recall speeches from many years ago, and he's GREAT at arguing with liberals.

We had our music class today - I take Madeleine and Ava every Monday morning. Madeleine LOVES it, and picks everything up really fast. Ava likes it sometimes, is indifferent sometimes, and doesn't want to be there sometimes. Today I thought we were all going to get kicked out. First of all, there are several autistic kids in the class. One kid basically sits in the corner and cries the whole time, every class. Today, Madeleine was walking around handing out instruments. She tried to hand one to this kid, and he absolutely freaked out. He started screaming and crying and swinging at her. Then he sat in the corner and screamed and cried for the rest of the class. I apologized to the mom, and she said she was just trying to hand him a toy so it was ok. Then she didn't understand why he was crying, so she kept trying to go over to him, and he kept trying to hit her! Finally I had to hold her on my lap and try to distract her, but she was really interested in this kid. Plus, Ava has to sit ON my lap the entire class. Next to me will not do. Then Ava almost kicked a 4 month old baby in the head with her big feet. I was glad when the class was OVER.

I'm going to try to post some pictures and recent videos in the next few days. Right now I'm going to go back to not eating anything and trying to psych myself up to take my vitamin.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Ugh, I feel awful for the poor autistic boy! Hope his Mom was understanding. Jack has those tendancies too to act out although not quite to that degree. Welcome to the 2nd Trimester!

Kathryn said...

My heart goes out to Mom's with autistic children. My sis-n-law teaches a music class to little ones and I wish we lived close enough so that my kids could learn from her. If there are any around here, I havn't heard. I relish my calmer mornings since the boys keep me hopping in the early evenings!

Karey said...

It sounds like our husbands are very similar!

I was behind a girl at the dr's office yesterday who was 12 weeks and they told her that she'll be out of the woods with the nausea very soon. Hopefully you will be too!

bren j. said...

Yikes! What a class!

You've tried taking your vitamins at bedtime, right?