Today Madeleine tried to make the Sign of the Cross for the first time. It was SO cute. She also tried to say our prayer before meals. She always says "Amen" but this was the first time she's tried to say the prayer.
Today, every time I handed her something, she said, "Thank you Mommy." She always says Thank you, and she usually calls me Mama. I thought this was so endearing that I just wanted to grab her and hug and kiss her whenever she said that today!
We went to Story hour today, then over to Grandma's house for lunch. On the way home, she said Poo poo. I said, "Try to wait until we get home and you can sit on the potty and go poo poo." She said Okay! And when we got home, she went on the potty!!! Sorry if this is TMI, but I of course made a huge deal out of it, and we carried the little bowl into the bathroom, dumped it in the toilet and said "Bye Bye Poo poo!" And because the purpose of this blog is to record my memories of this time with my baby, I'll tell you what she said next.
"Kiss."
(This is what she says when we say Bye Bye to anything or anyone. She wants to give them/it a kiss.)
I called Ken and told him, and he was wondering what the purpose of getting her to go on the potty was... he said he thought dealing with poop on a diaper was better than dealing with it in the potty. Plus he wasn't too happy that I just ordered a dozen more diapers. Oh well!
So, should I really try to potty train her? I mean, I didn't even know a 16 month old COULD be potty trained! She's interested though.
9 comments:
I say do the potty training. I've heard girls train faster than boys; I have two friends who both had their girls fully (!) potty trained at 14 months. My cousin's boy showed interest at about 18 months and she ignored it because she was pregnant at the time and didn't 'feel' like it. He lost interest and he was well over 24 months before he finally STARTED potty training again.
We're hoping to start a modified version of the Azrin-Foxx method when we get back from WA this summer.
Oh! And Beth, my husband thanks you! He loves fish and is always looking for more ways to include in our diet. Going by your recipe suggestion, it sounds like we need to come eat dinner at YOUR house. :)
If she is this interested and aware, then roll with it. I would have jumped for joy if any of my kids had expressed this much interest in potty training, ever! good luck!
I obviously have zero experience in this field, but I was going to say the same. If she wants to and understands the concept, why not? I mean, expect some possible setbacks, of course, but practice makes perfect, right?! And lucky, lucky you!!!
I have no experience, but I'd say just go with it. She might completely train or it might be a phase and she might lose interest. Might as well give it a shot though!
Okay I am going to pick my jaw up off the floor now.
oh. my. goodness.
She's NOT your normal kid!
This is great news! Go for it!
Girls are faster than boys.
For goodness' sake, let her go on the potty!
She is doing WONDERFULLY!
(I am SOOOO sick of poop in diapers.)
Yes, I agree with everyone else, go for it! Our pediatrician says whenever they show signs that they are ready, to go for it. Isabella loves her potty, we've been putting her on it for a few months now since she's interested. Although she rarely does anything, she just likes to sit on it and read. :)
Geez, I can't believe how many things your 16-month-old is capable of! My youngest son is 14 months and I can't picture him talking like this or asking for the potty in two months. Nice work!
Although I am currently childless, I agree, don't push the issue, but if she is interested, do not discourage. I potty-trianed 2's for 2 1/2 years while in college working at a daycare. I had a girl from the "baby" class who moved up to my class at 16 months because she was ready and was potty trained. :) So - it can happen.
Post a Comment