Wednesday, July 25, 2007

My First Bib

I got all kinds of good ideas on etsy.com, so I decided to try to make one of my own. It was easy and it turned out great! Here's my model, not looking very happy because I kept trying to pull her thumb out of her mouth to get the picture, and like a magnet it would go right back in!
I just traced around a bib I already had, about a 1/2 inch extra all around. Then cut out some batting and some other material I had laying around for the back. Sewed it all together, flipped it, handstitched the opening, added stick on velcro, and topstitched around the edge. Next time I'll topstitch around the entire edge before I add the velcro. Other than a pillowcase or two and shorts out of capris, this is pretty much the first thing I've ever done. It took like an hour for me to figure out how to thread the machine and get the thread on the bobbin. I'll admit it :)
I do love how it turned out though. Maybe I'll try to make a few more. Also they seem to be very absorbent - she wore it all day and it didn't soak through. And it's much better looking than those white terry cloth ones with the "cute" sayings on them. Not a big fan.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cute!! i'm so glad it worked! and you're much better than those ones at the store!
megan

Jen said...

Very cute!

I've tagged you for meme, five things you love about Jesus.

http://nestled-in-the-woods.blogspot.com/

Cathy said...

A-dorable!
You are very handy.
:)

Lori said...

Way to go miss crafty! Looks great!

nicole said...

That is so cute! Good for you. I'm growing a secret desire to learn to sew basic things like that, but I don't see it happening. It doesn't help that Husband laughs whenever I mention it.

Ouiz said...

nice job on the bib!!!!

Angela said...

Very cute! It makes me want to make some.

Kathryn said...

Great bib, I tried to comment yesterday but I guess it didn't work! My internet has been glitching lately! Anyway, I'm really impressed with your talent for creating such adorable baby items!

Kathryn

Veronica said...

That is so pretty! You could start up a side biz making those!

xxxxxx said...

I love that fabric! Sewing is something I never could do properly. To me it's like some weird magic. So whenever I see such wonderful sewing creations I am floored.