Monday, July 23, 2007

31 years ago today

Mom and Dad got married at St. Mary's Church in Anderson, Indiana.

My mom's youngest sister Christy was 5 years old at the time. She was really mad at my dad for "taking her sister away." She drew a scary face and put it on the door where he was going to change into his tux, trying to scare him away. She wouldn't get in any pictures all day.

They were both 22 when they got married. Mom worked for a few years while Dad was getting his masters in Physics at Purdue. Then they moved to Kokomo for Dad to start his brand new job, and they had me! A few years later they had Michael. Mom always stayed home with us. We've moved to several different towns, and once we moved across the country twice in one year. They always told us to "bloom where you're planted" and then showed it by their actions.

They are the best parents I could ask for, and I really look up to them as a loving married couple, and as parents. I am so thankful to them that they taught us right from wrong, disciplined us with love, always took us to church and taught us about God. We always did things together as a family, and they always played with us and spent time with us. They gave us responsibilities and helped us to become self sufficient. They taught us how to spend money wisely. They were always patient when teaching us new things. I think they really gave us the example we needed to become good parents.

And now they are the best Grandparents!

We love you Mom and Dad! Happy Anniversary!

7 comments:

Kathryn said...

What a wonderful post, I love hearing true stories of a long lasting marriage! Congratulations to your wonderful parents!

Kathryn

Cathy said...

Congratulations to your dear parents!
(What spring chickens!)

May they have many, many more happy years together.
:)

newhousenewjob said...

Lovely post - congratulations to them.

The story of your mother's sister reminds me of my mother's younger brother, who was about 9 when my parents got engaged. My mother's previous boyfriend, Norman, had been a very dashing young airman in the RAF, and my uncle hero-worshipped him. At the party to celebrate my parents' engagement, my uncle would say nothing but, "I liked Norman ... I did like Norman ... Norman was nice", over and over again!

FloridaWife said...

What a beautiful post about your parents!

Veronica said...

Awww that is wonderful! A happy Anniversary to them and many more to come!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Baby Girl! You are a wonderful daughter! Love, Mom

xxxxxx said...

What a beautiful tribute to your parents! I have a feeling many years from now your daughter will be writing something similar about her parents!