Monday, May 28, 2007

Indy 500 weekend

At least that's what I always thought it was called - not Memorial Day weekend!

Dad, Ken, my brother and sister in law went to the 500 yesterday. (I think they went to see Peyton Manning and that guy from Grey's Anatomy!) Mom and I and Madeleine went furniture shopping and out to lunch. They came home after the first rain delay though, so they didn't see the end. I couldn't believe the cars actually got back out on the track after all that rain. And I couldn't believe that Dario Franchitti (Ashley Judd's husband) won after all that. I'm not a big fan of Ashley Judd. I was hoping Danica Patrick would win, but even though she was in second at one point, she finished 8th. Still pretty good.

When we were little, my cousins Joanne and Tom from Rhode Island always came for the race. We looked forward to them coming every year. Joanne always brought me a Gorham teddy bear, which are now all up on Madeleine's shelf. They were my favorite things to play with growing up. They also always brought delicious treats for us and we always had a great time. When we were really little, we'd always go spend the night at our Grandma and Grandpa's house because mom and dad and Joanne and Tom would have to get up so early to drive to the track. Of course they spoiled us - took us out to dinner, bought us treats, and played Old Maid, Crazy 8's and Trouble all day. When they lived on the farm, my brother and I spent hours outside playing in the barn, hunting for bugs, and picking vegetables out of their garden. Good memories.

Joanne and Tom didn't get to come this year, but we can't go too long without seeing them. We think a trip up to Rhode Island will be in our near future... maybe that will be Madeleine's first plane ride! (Hopefully that is ok with them! :)

We got new sheets today - much better than our "bed in a bag" sheets we've had since our wedding - almost 5 years! Can't wait to try them out tonight. They are in the dryer right now.
Hope everyone had a great weekend!

2 comments:

Lori said...

Since you used to visit your grandparents farm as a kid you must not be allergic to the country after all.....Now you have no good excuse for not visiting me in the 3 years since I moved home!

Kathryn said...

Oh I love new sheets!!! Why don't you like Ashley J....just curious? Sounds like a great weekend!

Kathryn