Friday, February 02, 2007

A little scary

A first grader came down with Fifth Disease at OLMC and the nurse sent home a note that all pregnant women need to call their doctor. (I take care of a first grader.) So I called them today and I had to go get my blood drawn, to test if I have been exposed, and/or if I have immunity. They said about 50% of people have immunity already. My friend who is an OB/GYN nurse said that if I do have the disease, at this point they would probably deliver the baby. If I wasn't so far along, sometimes they have to do blood transfusions - I guess it's a pretty big deal. So hopefully I wasn't exposed, or I already have immunity! We should find out the results on Monday. But I'm a little nervous so please pray for us!

At least I have a baby shower and the Superbowl to keep my mind off these things this weekend!

5 comments:

nicole said...

What is Fifth Disease? I will pray for your peace of mind this weekend.

Anne said...

I was coming to comment congratulations on how well Baby is doing - and I still will because I'm sure all is fine - but I will say a prayer for both of you!

How exciting! Your time is getting so very near and soon you'll be able to hold her!! Wow. That makes it seem like a very long time until Charles gets here!

So does this post mean that you're a teacher? I've been meaning to ask what you do!

Beth said...

Fifth disease (I just learned this today) is a virus that lots of kids and adults get with no problems, but it can be very dangerous for unborn babies - especially if they are not very far along. But the nurses didn't seem to be worried since I'm 36 weeks and could deliver her if necessary (I better get some diapers!)

Thanks for the prayers Anne, and you won't believe how fast it goes! I'm actually a nanny for a family in my neighborhood - for two little girls - 1st grade and 14 months. I used to work downtown Indy teaching abstinence education to inner city kids - which was great - but I felt called to be a better wife and eventually mother, so I chose to do this instead! I love it and I can bring the baby with me too!

FloridaWife said...

I hope you are immune to it!!!

Anne said...

Wow! That is a nice set-up - being able to bring Baby along. I have to say that I envy that a bit, since I still have no idea where our son will be or who he'll be with by the end of the summer!

Ahhh, the worries of an adult!

Let us know about the results!