Wednesday, March 13, 2013

One year ago yesterday

Leo had his cleft palate repair.  I'm so amazed at how far he has come.  He is speaking so much more lately, he knows every one of his abc's, and he is such a great eater.  What a wonderful blessing he is to our family!  I'm still praying he doesn't need a second surgery.  Only about 20% of kids need it but his cleft was pretty wide, so he could be one of those.  We won't know til he's around 4 though.

Today we went to the Children's museum and I saw a little boy who was about 3 with an open cleft lip.  I asked his mom if he had a cleft palate too and she said yes.  I told her Leo had a cp and had surgery a year ago.  I told her all about it, showed her pictures, and she was able to see him and how well he is doing.  I told her he didn't mind the arm restraints and did so much better than we had expected.  They even have the same surgeon - for both the cleft and ear tubes!  She had just adopted him from China 5 weeks ago and he had had nothing but rice/formula bottles since then, and barely had been out of his crib!  He's THREE!  I gave her my phone number and told her to call me with any questions.  I'm so happy to have been able to help out and put her mind at ease.










5 comments:

Beth said...

Oh we met a friend there who helped me tremendously with Leo. I'm not THAT crazy!

Julie said...

I was going to call you crazy to do that with 4 kids too....lol!!

God puts those people in our path so that you could be her help and support. Isn't it amazing how your trials are an encouragement to others.

Hebrews 11:1 said...

Leo's one of my favorite kids ever.

Beth said...

Mine too!

Jamie Jo said...

See what a blessing you have been for so many because of Leo? He's such a gift to all! He looked SO good after his surgery, not even bloody at all!

Simeon's palate was quite wide and long I guess...only time will tell. Prayers they don't need palate repair!! (both of them!)