Friday, January 20, 2012

Big week for Leo

Leo had a surgeon appointment on Monday. We got the date for his surgery, March 12. Also, Dr. S told us that we needed to get rid of his paci, because if we try to do everything at once (surgery, no more bottle, no more paci) it would be traumatic for him. So I came home that day and threw them all away. I had been dreading getting rid of it and putting it off, because he had NEVER gone to sleep without it. He is such a great sleeper, I was terrified he wouldn't sleep and start waking up at night again. He probably cried for 3 minutes that day before his nap, and then slept for 2 hours! Then that night he laid right down in his crib with NO crying! It's been 4 days and he is still a wonderful sleeper and the best baby who ever lived! I cannot BELIEVE it. People must have been praying for him because it was so easy.

Leo also took his first steps this week! He has taken about 4 or 5 steps and practices and gets better every day. He still crawls super fast! He is eating so well. He turned a corner with his cup too, and his speech therapist was really happy with his progress this week. She said two weeks ago she didn't think he was quite ready for surgery (with drinking from a cup being the goal) but now he is! If they called me next week and said they had an opening, and everyone could get time off work, I would go for it. I actually think it would be easier for me if we had little notice, than if I have to wait almost 2 more months.

In the waiting room at the surgeon, there were several kids there with their parents who had cleft lip repairs. There was a 20ish girl, a teenage boy, about an 8 year old boy and also a sibling set adopted from China who both had cleft lips and palates (adopted siblings.) The older boy had already had his repairs, and looked great. The younger girl they JUST adopted a week ago, and this was her first appointment with Dr. S. She had just turned 3. I talked to her mom just for a minute before the nurse called us back. I asked her how the surgery was. She said that there was a lot of blood coming out of his nose and mouth, she wasn't expecting it to be that bad. But she said her son was ready to go home that day! And that he bounced back so quick. It was really neat to see a young boy and a teenage boy with Leo's same issue, being totally normal kids. He is going to be fine! That made me feel good.

So, best case scenario, Leo will go home the next morning if he is eating and drinking. If he refuses to eat and drink, they'll have to keep him there til he does. So everyone pray that he does! He will eat soft foods for 4 weeks, and wear arm restraints for 2-3 weeks, then gradually add more foods. The arm restraints are padded and wrap around his arms so he can't bend them and put things in his mouth. He won't be happy about it but we'll just have to try to make him as happy as possible for those few weeks.

On another note, Madeleine and I are having a girls day out tomorrow, and Ken is having a boys day in. More details later on that :)

8 comments:

Jenni said...

Always Praying! Love that little guy!

Mary said...

love him! what a sweetie! praying for you all.

Amazing Life said...

Praying for your little guy!

My first thought when reading this was that maybe a delayed date for surgery will be a good thing since he is rocking and rolling in all the other areas of development . . .especially walking! Maybe he can master that before surgery so he won't get so frustrated with crawling if his arms are gonna be padded (not really sure how this works, I only know from a few pictures how it looks). Anyway, that was just my first thoughts! I am so happy he is drinking from a cup, what an awesome baby Leo is!!! I think we all adore him!

Hebrews 11:1 said...

Go Leo! That kid is a rock star. He's going to kick that surgery's heiney.

Julie said...

LEO THE GREAT!!

Jamie Jo said...

Oh, I'm so glad you are going through this before me!! (sorry, but that's how I feel, you are my hero!)

That blood thing scares me-sounds so painful!! I know our boys will be fine, I just know they will, it's a wonderful, miraculous surgery!!!

Have a fun "mommy date"!!

Praying...

Monica said...

I'm happy for you that a date is now set and you can see "the other side" is not so far away. What a brave boy Leo is to give up his paci so easily! What a trooper!

Hugs!

JellyBelly said...

Continued prayers for baby L!!!!