Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Brian

My friend from college, Brian Eckstein, died suddenly on Monday. I lived at the Newman center at Ball State for 2 years, and played guitar and piano with him every Sunday. He was legally blind, but one of the most amazing musicians I've ever met. He was kind and loving and hilarious. I got to see him a few months ago when I went up for the music minister's last mass at that parish. I got to hear him lead the music and play piano, then a bunch of old friends got pizza together. I am SO glad I got to see him that last time. One of my best memories is of him playing one of my favorite songs, Let the Peace of God Reign. He would always play that for me and told me that song always reminded me of him. I'll write more after the funeral, but someone took a video of him leading the recessional hymn on Sunday, the day before he died. Here are the lyrics of the song he sang:

LIGHTS OF THE CITY

John tells us of city so high up above
Where we'll be in a Spirit of Love
We'll meet over yonder in that heavenly place
There, we'll see each other face to face

I can almost see the Lights of The City
Shinin' down on me
I can almost see the Lights of The City
Forever Lord, I shall be free

John tells us of a time when time will be no more
In the day when the trumpet shall blow
We'll meet over yonder in that heavenly place
There, we'll see each other face to face

(chorus)

John tells us of a water which will bring us to life
For when we drink, we will thirst no more
For when we're born in that water, a heavenly place
There we'll see each other face to face


And here is the video: Brian is the one in the blue shirt in the middle



9 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

Oh, I'm sorry Beth for your loss. What a treasure to have this video, so close to his death.

Eternal Rest unto him oh, Lord.

Karey said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Beth. He sounds like a great man.

JellyBelly said...

What a beautiful tribute for your friend! He sounds like he was an amazing man. I'm sure he's singing with the angels!

LifeHopes said...

Oh I am SO sorry, Beth!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

So very sorry. :( May God rest his beautiful soul.

St. Rita's Roses said...

I am so sorry~ Sending prayers.

Cathy said...

So sorry for your loss.
Will keep Brian's soul and the comfort of his family in my prayers.

Hebrews 11:1 said...

So sorry. :( Sounds like a wonderful person, a great loss for this world!

Brenda said...

My blogger has been all messed up so I've missed a ton of posts. I'm so sorry you lost your friend! We will pray for him and his family. And how great you recorded him that Sunday!