Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Vermin.

Yes that's right.

Today we ate lunch at grandma's house. As I was loading everyone into the house afterwards, I thought maybe the cat was acting more weird than usual. Leo was quiet in his carseat so I left him in it (in the house) and got the big kids to bed. When I came down I saw the cat was playing with a MOUSE! In my house!! Batting it around, toying with it, carrying it around in her mouth. Well I freaked out and did what any normal person would do...called Ken at work and told him to come home and take care of it. He refused to drive 40 minutes round trip in the middle of the day, mean old Ken.

So I tried to open the front door and shoo them both out. Wasn't working. Then I noticed her GO UPSTAIRS. With the Mouse. Where my BED IS.

I followed them up. She took the mouse into my bathroom into the TUB. Then she laid her fat little smug self down and just watched the poor mouse struggle to get out. I ran into Leo's room, grabbed a gift bag, and decided to try to catch it in that. Stupid mouse kept running UNDER the cat! I finally caught it, held the bag shut and at arms length as I ran down the stairs, opened the front door, and threw it out. As soon as it hit the porch, it started running back towards the door!! I panicked and smacked it with the bag. It flew through the air, making a perfect flying mouse print in the snow. The cat ran outside after it. I'm not sure what happened after that but she came in later looking very pleased with herself.
Seriously, there better NOT be any more, because I cannot handle rodents in my house!!!

And a quick question. Have any of you had Night sweats and excessive thirst almost 7 weeks after having a baby? I mean sweating like I have to change my shirt in the Night. Am I menopausal or what?? It's awful. I'm going for my ob follow up on Thursday so I'll ask her, Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6

21 comments:

... said...

Omygoodness! Omygoodness! There are few things that freak me out as much a mouse. I was on the telephone with blogger Barbie when she saw a mouse. Barbie handled it like a trooper. I, on the other hand, being hundreds of miles away and no where near the mouse, completely freaked out! I’d say you handled it well!

JellyBelly said...

I don't know how you stayed in the house!!! I wouldn't have been able to do that!

You are one brave lady! Can't believe you caught that icky mouse!

Anne said...

Ha. LOVE this story as I am repeatedly dealing with the same dirty pests myself! One morning recently Peter didn't realize I had set a trap and he was late for work so I had to take care of the dead mouse myself. It was almost too much for me - I'm not sure how I'd handle a live mouse!! Good for you. And let there be no more!!!

Karey said...

Ah! I would've called my husband too! And were you crying? Because I would've been, haha!

I had night sweats for 2-3 weeks after giving birth and I'd have to change my shirt just like you said. Not since though, thank goodness. Let us know what your doctor says though, if you can. I'm curious!

Jenni said...

I don't remember how long they lasted but I had terrible night sweats after Jude was born.

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

THAT would FREAK ME OUT!!! Oh my goodness!!!

Julie said...

I hate rodents!!! Yuck! I may avoid your house for a little while! LOL!

Barack Obama said...

Pretty sure that's grounds for divorce in all 60 states.

E said...

LOL at the mouse! He have them, too. The traps that the mouse crawls into are the best, you can just pitch them! ha!

As for the night sweats, I had them, too and remember asking at my 6 week appt when they would end. I think they did shortly after that. Yuck!

ourbakersdozen said...

1) Definitely mention this to your Dr - probably a passing phase but the raging thirst has me concerned. Again probably nothing - try increasing your WATER and see if this helps. Every carbonated drink and caffeinated drink deprives you of much needed fluids. Cant remember how much water my Dr said I need to drink for EVERY 12 oz of carbonated drink - but it was several glasses. And with the sweats and Leo's nursing you are probably in serious need of more fluid. So like I said probably nothing but do mention it.

VERMIN - if you see one mouse in.the.day. you have more. Many more. So get yourself some traps before you start finding "mousey doo" in your dresser drawers,. And YES I am talking from.experience! We started with one mouse seen once or twice every few months to mice running across the kitchen and bedroom floors during the day. I'm sorry - not very cheerful am I!

Awaiting a Child of God:) said...

I'm peeing my pants right now.....

WheelbarrowRider said...

It still sounds like you were ten times calmer than I was. Def mean ken, lol. No night sweats here but I know my hormones are OUT of CONTROL bc of the dumb sh** I cry about on a daily basis (usually commercials)

Cathy said...

MumtoTwelve just freaked. me. out.

Dude!

Mum, what if the kitty just "found" the mouse hiding? Like, she didn't necessarily see it run across the kitchen in the day, so maybe --- oh man gonna go hurl BRB.

Cathy said...

PS Fire your cat.

Sew said...

LOL KEN!!!! Come home!!!

Nope never had night sweats and I think me heating up has been too much thyroid hormones....I bet you aren't drinking, ARE YOU?! :)

I'll brag, since you brag about your weight loss...I drink about a gallon a day! nah-nah-nah! ;) hahahaha Not really bragging rights huh?

Brenda said...

Ewww. :) Hope he was a loner!

As for the sweats and thirst, totally normal. I have them too now and did with Maggie. I would be DRENCHED. It's hormonal. And the thirst in the middle of the night too is bad. I demand that Che bring me some water for the bedside table during the night before he turns in!

LifeHopes said...

Well I do share the thirst issue - I have a glass of water by my bed and at least three times a night wake up dying of thirst. Of course, that makes me have to pee so it makes for a very bad night's sleep.

I think its hormones related to pregnancy, whether pre-birth or post-partum bc I've never had this issue before.

The mouse --- OH MY GOSH!!! We had ants in our kitchen recently and I felt dirty all the time. I hate insects, I can't imagine rodents. Great work on catching it!!

The mouse might have just run in from outside or maybe your cat brought it in, I hope you don't have a real problem! If you see another one, get an exterminator in there asap! My cats bring in dead bloodied mice onto our front porch step on a fairly regular basis, its pretty disgusting. And then they lick me. ugh.

Beth said...

Yeah I'm kinda thinking something is wrong. I drank water all day long today and feel totally dehydrated. My lips are so dry they hurt. Plus I had to change my shirt 3 times last night and wash the sheets this morning. This just started 3 nights ago. I can't wait For my appointment. Ugh.

Megan said...

Yikes!!!! That is crazy about the mouse!

ourbakersdozen said...

Cathy - I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you hurl but fact is - if you are seeing even just one mouse (day or night) you have a problem. (Netflix - Verminator - get your (almost) free education right online!)
We have used live traps, traps that make one the villain on Disney - ie kills the little rodents and my 15 yr old has caught them with a plastic bin and released (Outside the Bap.tist church shhhh) and we have, of course, Miss Meow - our current resident mouser who though only a kitten has greatly reduced the number of mice streaking across bedroom and BATHROOM floors. Of course - I don't know if she has just frightened them into secrecy or she has significantly reduced their numbers.
But as much as I love Walt's Cinderella and her chubby little room mates I will be very glad to leave Gus and his friends behind when we move next week.
Mousy doo and its dust will make you sick... and incidentally we have had an increase in allergies in the past six months which has coincided with the increased mouse sitings.
I'm taking it, Cathy, that your Miss Meow found such a playmate? I am so sorry!
Hopefully I have cleared up any misapprehensions regarding the meaning of occasional sitings. (Again I point you to Netflix and Verminator for further enlightenment. (Keep hurl bag close by!)
Love
Mum....

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Yes, get to the doctor and see what's up!

And: EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! on the mouse!