It took a while to figure it out. I'm coming to accept that his main source of nourishment will be through the bottle and pumped milk. I'm getting used to the fact that I'll be pumping for a long time. It's just not physically possible for him to nurse very much. I'm really sad about this. I'm happy that he's thriving and doing much better now, but sad that I have to pump and bottle feed him.
I've decided to pray for him and my other kids while I'm pumping. I'll pray for him to love and serve God in his life and follow His plan.
Please pray for us.
21 comments:
You are such a strong, amazing mama. You and Leo are constantly in my prayers.
oh, sweetie... I will...
Hang in there, Beth. You may want to contact a speech pathologist regarding the nursing. Are you using a Haberman bottle? I'm sorry things are tough in the feeding department.
Praying for you, Beth. You have such a sense of offering things up for good. You ARE awesome!
Oh Beth, I know ALL about this, have had to do this with both my kids. Isabella was never able to nurse at all because of being a preemie, I always pumped with her. And Jaymes, well, he was just a horrible nurser, who never figured out how to get enough milk during a nursing session. So after about 6 weeks of CONSTANT nursing, feeding with a syringe, etc, and him still not getting enough to eat, I switched to pumping. Praying for you . . .
Oh, Beth, I know this is a heartbreak.... He and you both are going to be so perfectly fine, but I know it is a huge emotional letdown not to be able to nurse your child the way you'd planned, esp. when you have such a strong desire and instinct to do so. I am so sorry. I will be praying for you both, my sweet friend!!!
This has to be so frustrating and heartbreaking! I'll keep praying for you and Leo. You are such an awesome mom!!! Love you!!!
I will pray for y'all. Pumping with others needing your time and attention must be very challenging.
Bless your hearts. You are a strong woman and this is so much to absorb especially now just days after giving birth. You are most definitely in my prayers as this is something close to my heart. I'm struggling with a bit of the opposite problem...no milk and having to use a nursing supplementer with formula for her main source of nourishment. Granted, she's adopted but still...I ache to do what normal mothers can do naturally.
I'm so happy he's eating better but so understand your disappointment. Thankfully, you can tell yourself and know that this is just one of those things that can't be helped and out of your control. That helps me a lot:)
You will surely have some little saints after all the praying you will be doing:)
God's crosses are so hard. Surrender this one quickly, don't let it get you down. You are such a strong woman. We love you all and are praying daily for you and those beautiful children. I really want to meet Leo and introduce him to Kateri.
I am so sorry that your plan to nurse exclusively is not going to happen.
God tends to allow these hard crosses to teach us to surrender our most precious desires (desires that you know do not go against God's Will...i.e. nursing your child, having biological children, etc), in order to teach us to rely totally and completely on HIM!!
Don't let the devil steal your graces during this trial!
You are in my prayers always!
Beth, you are in my prayers. If I was in your shoes I would feel the same way. :( You are amazing, and Leo is so blessed to have you as his mommy, as are JP and M.
I am so sorry. I totally get your disappointment. What a wonderful idea to pray while pumping! A true inspiration for the rest of us.
Are you nursing at all for comfort ( for him)? Or is that at all possible? What about what Mrs Mike is doing? Not wanting to mess with where you are in acceptance of the situation - just understanding your disappointment.
love and blessings
Christi
hi, I just wandered in from Leila's Catholic Bubble. I'm sorry that your son is having trouble breastfeeding. My son did as well, and I had to switch to bottle feeding him breast milk. He is 9 months old today and I'm still going strong at pumping. It's a tough road, but do-able!
You are so amazing and strong! Many women would just quit totally and formula feed. You are doing exactly what he needs, isn't that what parenting is all about? When I was pumping, would try to get some of the rosary in, too.
I had a hard time dealing with our nursing issues at first, but prayer and time helped me accept things for the way they are.
Prayers for you all around!
Praying for you! You are still giving him an amazing gift - I am sorry it is not how you had hoped.
You are a hero, Mama.
I'm praying for you, too.
(You TWO.)
:)
Oh I'm so sorry! Remember nursing has two purposes- nutrition and comfort, and they are equally important. It's fine if he only nurses a bit from you for bonding and comfort, and gets his calories from a bottle. You are doing an amzing job in a tough situation. it's ok to be sad about this, but don't let yourself forget what an incredible job you are doing for your beautiful little boy!!! I am so impressed that you are sticking with the pumping. I'll pray for you.
Beth,
You know I feel for you as I'm going through the same thing! I do take comfort in the fact that he is still getting breastmilk, even if it is not directly from the tap! I learned that breastmilk is best fed fresh for more antibodies...refrigerating it reduces them 30% and freezing 60%... not always do-able but I try my best! Great idea to pray while pumping, I find it boring and makes me sleepy and it can be hard to time it right with baby not needing me. Let's keep this up together for our babies!!! Hugs!
Oops I meant pumping was boring, not the praying! ;)
And I forgot to mention that breastmilk is ok sitting out on the counter for 10 hours.
Post a Comment