Thursday, September 16, 2010

Showdown

We've been having an issue over here with a certain 3 1/2 year old. (Well, several issues but that's beside the point ;) I've been trying to get her to pick up her toys before her Daddy gets home from work. She was doing well for a while, but lately she has either ignored me completely when I ask her, or flat out refused. (Stubborn little %$#@.) Anyway, I end up getting into a big fight with her every night, yelling, putting her in time out, etc. I'm not happy with how either of us are acting, especially because during that time I am fixing dinner and trying to keep John Paul away from the stove. So I asked some friends for advice. They said that I should set the timer for 10 minutes, and tell her that she can keep whatever she picks up in 10 minutes. So I did that today. 10 minutes before Daddy got home I set the timer. I told her that she could keep whatever she picked up, but anything on the floor when the timer went off was mine. Well, she must have been testing me because she did not pick up a single thing, including her "silkies" (blankets) and her Wonder Pets. She has slept with her silkies every night since she was born, and she's been attached to the Wonder Pets since my mom got them for her last week. Ken got home when the timer went off, and he got a big box and packed up everything on the floor and put it in the closet. So this is the first night she's EVER slept without her silkies. I told her if she was good and stayed in her bed tonight she could have the silkies and Wonder Pets back tomorrow, but I'm keeping everything else until she shows me she can clean up her toys. I felt much better about this situation. There was no yelling, no fighting, no telling her it was time to pick up toys NOW. She didn't do it, and there was a consequence. Hopefully she'll learn her lesson, and I'm not going to back down. We'll do this until she learns to listen when I ask, even if it means she has NO toys to play with.

On a happier note, I got to meet a new friend today! Julie and her adorable daughter Isabella! We had a great time sitting at Barnes and Nobles and chatting for hours this afternoon. I could have stayed longer but everyone 3 and under needed a nap! Thanks for hanging out with us Julie, I had a great time and I hope we can meet up at playgroup soon ;)

9 comments:

Amazing Life said...

You are one awesome Mom! Dad sounds pretty awesome, too!

I hope everyone can sleep tonight :)

Julie said...

Good job on not backing down!!!

I loved loved loved meeting you and the kids for coffee today! It was so nice to get out of the house and to chat about endoemtriosis with someone who understands! Andrew and talked a lot about seeing Dr G tonight on our family walk and I am going to call tomorrow to make an appointment.
I hope to see you next week at playgroup!

Brenda said...

That sounds like our house at that horrible hour where everyone is hungry and tired and why can't you just pick up these damn toys so I stop killing myself on them!!!:)

Maggie has been getting consequences too. That's a big new word around here. And man, it's been pretty ugly. But I'd rather the satisfactiion of her getting ticked and learning the lesson than still getting ticked and me caving.

Hold fast, Beth. Hold fast.

Catherine Anne said...

Beutiful blog, Beautiful family! Its wonderful to meet you!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Oh, you are GOOD!! Better to do this now instead of when they get older, trust me! Good going!!!

Megan said...

Good work on the consequences! :) And woohoo for coming to play group!!!

... said...

Maybe she's revolting against being served soup with soggy bread ;)

I love hearing these ideas. I still remember the potty training and tea set.

Julie said...

Beth,
I called Dr G and have an appointment next Wednesday!

Sew said...

This is why I'm going to be a bad mom. Because all the toys in the whole house would be GONE and out of sight!!! hahahaha I have a lot of work to do... hahahaha

But I sure can't imagine you yelling...Is yelling just raising your voice because I have never heard you raise your voice without laughing....