Monday, August 16, 2010

Fun day over here.

Saturday morning we had a big fat leak from the drain by the water heater in our pantry. We think someone around here might have flushed something down the toilet downstairs. So when I was in the shower, the kitchen was being flooded. Also we found some water in the front entry way and the carpet in the family room. We cleaned it up as fast as we could, and called a plumber who came out and cleared the drain.

This morning Ken came downstairs and saw that the beautiful NEW laminate floor was buckled up in the kitchen. Soooo sad. We thought maybe it was a small area in the kitchen and we had enough to fix it. A few hours later, the damage had spread to the playroom and dining room. We called a guy out to give us an estimate and check the damage. He came this afternoon and gave us the bad news. ALL the floor and the carpet has to be replaced. In the entire downstairs. The vinyl has to come up under the laminate and dried out with dehumidifiers and fans. Also the drywall behind the couch, and in the hall closet is wet, in addition to the padding under the carpet. He said we should get the carpet pulled up and started drying it as soon as possible. The estimate is in the thousands of dollars. So we had to file a claim with the insurance company. He's supposed to get back to us in a day or two. IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING!

Anyone want 3 1/2 visitors for a few days while the floor and carpet gets replaced? Cause we are NOT staying here!

14 comments:

JellyBelly said...

I'd invite you guys to stay with us, but that really wouldn't be convenient. :(

Jenny said...

You can come hang out with Smokey!! :). Dang water.

Beth said...

don't forget we fly for free - no where is inconvenient! ;)

Meredith said...

Oh no! You're right, it's always something.... Now that I've been at your house, I'm envisioning all that, and I'm wishing you didn't have so much (expensive) work ahead of you.

Wanna visit MN? You're welcome!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

WHAT?? That is awful!!! UGH!!! I am so sorry!!!!

Megan said...

Ugh, Beth that stinks! I say you go visit Leila in Phoenix... :)

Beth said...

Notice she's the only one who didn't invite me ;)

... said...

Oh no! I cannot believe that! You are welcome here. I've got 2 extra beds and some holey soap (from Leila) to share down here and you are welcome to come!

Anne said...

My goodness! What a mess! You're welcome here. And you wouldn't even have to fly. :o)

Brenda said...

Come to Memphis!!!!!

And this is my worst nightmare with this stupid flooring. I'm so afraid my washing machine is going to break and start spewing water and ruin the whole damn thing. I'm glad you don't have to pay for it ALL out of pocket though!

Seriously, time for Memphis. You'd have to stay at Sew's cause I don't have extra beds but some kickin' toys!

megan said...

That sucks big time! that beautiful new floor too!
You can come to Texas we would love to see you again....it's hot but we have pools!

Kathryn said...

I'd love for you to come to Texas, but the heat my be too much right now. Saying lots of prayers for you!

ourbakersdozen said...

ooooh I FEEL your pain. Id invite you but with temps in the 100s and no a/c you are better off in the house with workmen lol

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Okay, peer pressure and shame is powerful!! I formally invite you to come stay with me, and I have more holey soap to offer you than Ann does!