Sunday, July 25, 2010

Shots

I hate shots.

Friday there was a floater nurse who really scared John Paul. By the time she came back to give him his shots he was screaming and hanging onto me and thrashing so much I could barely get him to lay on the table. The nurse wasn't even strong enough to hold him and get the shots in his leg. One leg she did ok, then in the second leg he got two shots. She jabbed one in and he was thrashing around and the needle was moving all around in his muscle - it looked really painful. I'm seriously not even sure he got the shot. I'm not really worried about that, but he got a huge, red bruise and knot in that leg. It's even bigger and purple today. It's not affecting his walking or anything, but I'm wondering if I should call the doc tomorrow and say maybe that nurse doesn't know what she's doing? I mean seriously, I don't think she deals with kids at all. The regular nurses there are great at it and we've never had a problem. He's also had all these shots 3 times before and never had this issue. It just makes me mad.

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Yes! Call and ask to speak to the office mgr or nurse mgr. She at least needs to have to forethought to call in an extra set of hands!

Megan said...

Aww poor little guy! I hate shots too! I hope his leg feels better, and I would definitely call the doctor and at least get the nurse's name so you can request not to have her again.
We had to get blood work done for Avery when she was 9 months old, and the tech had no idea what he was doing, and I was sitting there holding Avery while the guy is digging the needle around in her arm looking for her vein. It was awful!

ourbakersdozen said...

totally - the office needs to know. Next mum might decide to sue... seriously. What if the needle had broken off in his leg? Please call them and if you are too emotional about it to be able to calmly tell them about it (I know sometimes I am too close to something the first few days after) write them a note. But they need to know!!!

Kathryn said...

I bet the next time you go she isn't there. I'm not saying don't call, but I've found that generally the problem is noticed by the other staff members (when it is this obvious) and they take care of it.
I'm so sorry for John Paul, poor thing. I hope he feels better soon!

Ouiz said...

Oh yeah... the office needs to know. It's hard for me to be assertive so I would have a hard time making that phone call, but she can't go around hurting little ones like that. If she's new and learning, she needs to have someone else in there with her, guiding her through the process and keeping her calm.