Friday, July 23, 2010

First Quick Takes

I've never done this and I'm not registering it, since I like to keep my blog relatively hidden, but for my faithful readers, here goes. I assume it's just 7 random things I'm thinking? Cause that's what I'm going to write about.

1. Bud has his 15 month appointment today. He's skinny at 21 lbs, 25th percentile. Just like my other kid. I asked about his screaming habit - he even gave the doc a show firsthand. He screams whenever he gets his way. (*oops! updated - he screams whenever he doesn't get his way, wants something, or just generally feels like screaming. Like when we're in church.) The doc said he's "assertive" and it's a good quality for later in life.

2. I bought the first set of Bob Books for Madeleine today. She was able to read the first TWO books all by herself! She is doing so well with her reading book. I'm proud of her and proud of myself! I'm teaching my 3 year old to read! It's pretty amazing. She's now picking out words of books that she knows and sounding them out.

3. We are reading Charlotte's Web together. She wants me to read several chapters per day. I'm really surprised that she's so into it, the words are really big, and there are hardly any pictures. But she loves it. We only have about 3 chapters left, and Charlotte's not looking good. I'm kind of nervous how she's going to react when, you know.....

4. If any of you have any suggestions for the next chapter book I can read to her, let me know! I heard on the radio the other day that the average teenager now only understands and uses hundreds of words instead of thousands like they should. I also read in a book that it's really good to read Chapter books to preschoolers so they hear words and then recognize them later. Also it's good for them to listen to books on tape for that same reason. So I got Rudyard Kipling's "Just So Stories" from the library and dug out our old tape player, and let the kids listen to them while they do their art projects. (Madeleine on painting and John Paul on throwing crayons on the floor and occasionally writing something on his paper.)

5. I used to play guitar and piano pretty well, and I have been missing it lately. I have barely touched an instrument since I was pregnant with Madeleine. I think it's time to get the guitar out and learn some songs to sing with the kids.

6. Madeleine's godmother and her two youngest kids are coming from Florida next week and staying with us for 3 days - I can't wait! Also her 40th birthday party is Friday. If anyone local is reading this and wants to come - let me know and I'll give you the info.

7. We got our Parish Picture Directory the other day and I looked through the whole thing - John Paul is the ONLY John Paul in the Church! We have a huge Church too. There was one Juan Pablo but I can live with that ;)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

11 comments:

Jenny said...

Yay for being the only John Paul!

I think you should learn the silly pizza song on the guitar. :)

Karey said...

That's awesome you're teaching her to read! It must be cool to see the results right before your eyes. I'll have to remember that about reading chapter books to preschoolers.. it makes sense. And I love the idea of listening to books on tape while they're working on projects. I'll have to remember that too!

Megan said...

I'm trying to think of chapter books for you guys... Stuart Little might be good, or James and Giant Peach, or Mr. Popper's Penguins (love this one!), or Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, Ramona Quimby, Age 8, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Boxcar Children... These are all awesome ones!
I need to read to Avery more! We need to start going to the library on a weekly basis. The adjustment to parenting a toddler is still setting in for me. haha
I will definitely have to check out the reading lesson book! It sounds great!

... said...

Ohhhhhh! I LOVED the Boxcar Children (but I think that was 3rd or 4th grade when I read it).

That's amazing she is doing so well on her reading. I need to listen to books on cds to improve my own vocabulary!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Screams whenever he gets his way? I love it! Better than the converse, which is what mine do. Ha!

Sew said...

What happens in CW? I forgot....

JP is so funny! I can't believe she can read like that already! ;)

Beth said...

oops! I updated the post about when he screams.

Thanks for all the suggestions about the books! I'll definitely get one of those at the library next time. Megan we should meet up at the library too - we usually go weekly. The kids are in the summer reading program and they're due to get their next prize ;)

Sew, Charlotte dies! We're getting close to that part too! I hope she's not too upset.

Hafsa, you name your next kid whatever you want! ;)

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Good, cuz I couldn't picture a child screaming when he got what he wanted, ha ha!

My kids (most) are like Bud then, ha ha!

Anne said...

Beth, I am so jealous that M is sitting for and enjoying Charlotte's web. I absolutely cannot wait to start those fun kid chapter books with C - but I don't think he's anywhere near ready. Ah, well. We'll be there before I know it, I'm sure.

Vent-ilation said...

Cricket in Times Square and The Chocolate Touch are fun stories. I love the Ramona books, too. Somebody just mentioned to me they heard that the teach your baby to read program is really good -- but I wonder how much time you have to put into that? And do I really want my BABY to read? It's fun seeing him explore the world. I like what you're doing with M. and hope to do that with D. in a couple of years.

Ouiz said...

Ooh! Ooh! I know the perfect book!

Three tales of My Father's Dragon.

Every one of my kids has LOVED this book -- Thomas loved it so much that I made him a stuffed dragon that he still plays and sleeps with.

GREAT job teaching M to read!!!!!