Friday, May 08, 2009

Negative is positive :)

Today Madeleine's skin test was NEGATIVE for a milk allergy!

She was quite the trooper today. She had to have 5 "pinches" in her back for the skin tests. She did great. He said because of her history of sensitivity to milk, he wanted her to get a blood test to see if she can have a food challenge and try a milk product. So she did great on that too - they had to poke her twice (I feel your pain, Honey) and she only cried just a little at the end. We should get those results in 4 - 6 weeks and they'll tell us whether she can do a food challenge. So this could be great news! I really really hope she has outgrown this, and can have pizza and mac and cheese and ice cream and parmesean and everything else!

Now he did say that a few things are lifelong food allergens, fish, shellfish, tree nuts and peanuts. I told him that she eats fish all the time, but hasn't had any of the other things. He said that she shouldn't get shellfish, tree nuts or peanuts until she is in kindergarten. He said she'd be much more vocal then and be able to tell us exactly what she was feeling, like if her lips were tingling or something like that. So that is ok, she doesn't need any of that stuff for a few more years! He wrote us another prescription for an epi pen just in case she were to get into some of that and have a reaction.

And more good news, he said that I didn't really need to avoid milk with John Paul, as long as he didn't show any symptoms. He said that second children usually don't have as many allergy problems as first born children. He also said that having pets from birth help prevent allergies! He did say I should avoid the three things that Madeleine is avoiding. That's not a problem. We haven't had nuts in a long time, and I can give up shellfish no problem.

If her blood test is negative and then she passes the food challenge, I can't WAIT to cook her my favorite homemade macaroni and cheese!! :)

7 comments:

Kathryn said...

and will you be posting that recipe??? I hope she is negative, how wonderful that will be and what a brave little girl you have!! Very impressive!

Anne said...

awesome news for you guys. i'm a little bit jealouws ;o)

Shannon said...

brave girl!!

mum2twelve said...

URGENT PRAYER REQUEST to all of Beth's readers
Our son Jonathan is dating a lovely young lady from Tennessee. She is the second oldest of six. Today we learned that her 14 year old brother Michael received last rites this morning. He is in hospital and they think he has a rare from of eColi that is not treatable. Last we heard his kidneys were rapidly deteriorating.

Please pray for this wonderful homeschooling family of six children and this young boy of only 14! We are praying first for a full recovery, second for graces for the family to carry them through this time and for safety for Jonathan and Alicia as they drive to Tennessee. Praying also that they get there in time for Alicia to be with her brother - if that is even possible.

This is so sudden. We are all in shock.

Jen L said...

Man I do love your mac & cheese. My mouth is watering.

Cathy said...

Mum,

My prayers are with the child and his family.

bren j. said...

I don't understand why anyone WOULDN'T avoid shellfish. *shudder*

Glad you're close to a break-through - yay!