So Madeleine is doing PRETTY well on the potty these days, but has not seemed to improve at all for a few months. She does great at home, especially if she doesn't have pants on, but whenever we go out she does not want to go on the potty and just goes in her pullups. I am so sick of buying these things after 18 months of using cloth diapers!! They are so expensive! I have all the diapers I need for her right now. She doesn't want to wear diapers and hates to get changed, especially if she has to lay down. But I'm seriously considering it, at least for night time and naps. Did I try to start too early? What should I do? Should I totally forget about potty training for a few months, or still just let her go at home and wear diapers when we're out?
We did get some potty books and a potty dvd at the library today.... I'm thinking she might regress after the baby is born anyway so I don't want to push it too much.
One good thing about using diapers again - at least she could keep her pants up!!
*Update* So today I got a few potty books and a potty dvd at the library. We read all the books and she loved them. We watched the movie and she went number 2 on the potty after that, and she's gone number 1 a few times. HOWEVER.... she also peed on the couch (mostly on her silkies) and on my lap TWICE TODAY!! WHAT? She never does that. I don't know what is going on here. I'm almost thinking I should give it up completely until the boy is a few months old? But I have no idea.
12 comments:
Honestly, I think if you're this far into it, I'd stick with the pull-ups unless you really just want to give up PT all together for now and try again much later. I think if you get out the diapers and then Six arrives, she might not be interested again for quite a while. Which is totally fine if you're fine with it! You know M isn't even close!
Personally, I think this is one of those decisions that you have to go with your gut on. I can almost guarentee, she isn't going to have problems because she isn't potty trained right away. That having been said it would be nice to only have one in diapers. I think this a totally you question. What puts you most at ease? Because in the end that is what will put her most at ease.
I was amazed at how early she started....but some kids do just catch on fast and go from there. However, my oldest daughter is almost 3 (at end of April) and other daughter is 15 months. The older one has not wanted to go until a few months ago and now will go sometimes during the day but still wears diapers...until I see a more consistent pattern I dont want to get into teh expensive pull ups and undies again...we tried one weekend and it just wasn't clicking and wasn't worth the stress. So many of my friends tell me that the magic age seems to be around three and those that have potty trained around that age also have never had night time accidents...I think something physically and psychologically connects better then. So...something is starting because she wants to go and does more than she did a couple months ago....it was funny though because my 15 month old acutally went the other night!!! I was shocked...but she sees her older sister doing it too! SO.....good luck, keep us posted...do what you think...and remember there are no high school kids wearing diapers!!!
You better not make me sleep on that couch! hahahaha
Well, I thought I would want M potty trained before I had another but then you have to consider the fact that whenever she has to go, you have to put baby down or stop nursing or whatever you're doing with baby to help the toddler go. So it may suck to have 2 in diapers, but at least it will cut down on accidents. She may be getting mixed signals if she is super awesome on the potty at home but has troube when she's out and wears pull ups at night time. Her language skills are really exceptional so communication isn't really an issue. But maybe she's feeling vulnerable. She might be starting to become aware of a big change in the household. If you don't thinnk you can get her completely trained by the time Six is here, maybe you should regress together and just let her do pull ups until you can re train her. Perhaps you can do cloth diapers in the day and pull ups at night and encourage her to keep her pull ups dry at night or something. Then when she has made a good transition to being a big sister, try again with full fledged PT.
Now, having said all that, I ahve absolutely no experience with this whatsoever and Maggie hasn't asked at all since last week to sit on the potty and I am just going with my own train of thought here:) She could be ready now or in 6 more months; I don't think either would be detrimental.
Someone told me the other day that peds have a joke: If you start potty training at 2, you're done at 3. If you start potty training at 3, you're done at 3. No idea if it's true, but it seems consistent success seems to happen more around 3 and something just clicks.
I have no advice. I do not do potty training, at all! I put my first and myself through a great deal and forever more I DO NOT potty train. I admire people who do though and yes, I'd love to remove those diapers from the budget, but it is worth mine and the kiddos peace of mind. They have all used the potty consistently before the age of 4, with the boys closer to 3 1/2 with Faith right at 3.
Whatever you decide, don't beat yourself up...it will happen eventually!
I hate potty training and have come to Kathryn's view point too. If it is a source of stress for either one of you then you should let it go. My oldest did not really decide to go until she was 4 1/2 and I think it had a lot to do with us pushing it too soon and too hard. Also, I think pull-ups are the devil. We didn't use them at all with Buddy and he had the easiest time learning. Pull-ups can send a mixed signal to M: you're kind of telling her that you don't think she can go without having an accident, so she loses confidence. With baby coming soon, you might be better off letting it go for a few months. Don't let the expectations of others influence what is right for your family. I had so much stress about Princess and I hated it. Monster is 3 1/2 and not interested in the potty and while I would love to have him out of diapers, I know the stress is not worth it.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
The potty books and DVDs... I still remember the silly record (yes, record) my mom used for my sister and me and the silly books that went with it. I think there was a little blonde girl with curly hair on the cover. The things we remember :) Good luck with everything!
Not even close here.
Good luck, though!
:)
I am just curious to know more about those potty dvds!!!
I bet they're hilarious!
We're just about to start potty training around here although we haven't got much of a clue about what method or anything we're going to use....
My cousin tried potty training her oldest boy at about 18 months when she was due with her second, but it just didn't go over. So she held off for a few months and when they tried again, it only took two weeks before he was fully trained!
So whatever you decide to do - good luck!
Post a Comment