Monday, January 19, 2009

Our newest member of the family!

My cat Roofus had to be put to sleep because she had a stroke - on my birthday. It was really sad, especially since she was my first "baby" and we got her when we moved into our house 4 1/2 years ago. We miss her a lot. But Ken and I have continued our record of choosing AWESOME kitty cats so I would like to introduce....

COSMO!! We got him the day after Christmas from the humane society. He's about 4 years old, and the biggest, gentlest, cuddliest cat I have EVER met. He is GREAT with Madeleine and even Ava. He jumps right up on the couch with Madeleine and lays down next to her. He lets her pet him, play with his ears, paws, and tail, feed him, and she even tried to ride him once! He just hangs out and enjoys the train table, as you can see...

He also LOVES water and my sink and shower. He waits until I get out of the shower and hops right in. A few times I have caught him sleeping in my sink! If I am brushing my teeth, he will drink out of the faucet or just stand there and let the water run over his head. Have you ever heard of such a thing?! He also likes to stand in his water dish, for some reason??
He weighs 14 lbs! I actually didn't realize how big he was until we got him home, but he is huge! And he enjoys getting right up on my chest and laying his head on my shoulder. Ken says he has personal space issues - as in he doesn't give you enough :) I think he is so sweet and perfect for a family with little kids. He already likes the new baby, as you can see he enjoys draping his fat self over my belly!
It actually took us 10 days to name him. We at first considered naming him Jack, short for Jackpot, since it was apparent the moment we brought him home that he knew he hit the jackpot. Here he is on his FIRST night at our house, making himself RIGHT at home.

We miss Roofus, but we love Cosmo. He fits right in with our family, and we are happy to have him!


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Roofus. But it sounds like you found a great kitty in Cosmo. It's nice that M gets to interact and play with him.

andnotbysight said...

I'm sorry about Roofus--it's really hard to lose a pet. I'm glad you've found Cosmo, though! Aren't older pets great? I brought home my dog when she was about 5 years old and she's wonderful--we think about getting a second dog, but we feel like we'd never be as lucky with another!

Kathryn said...

I am so sorry about Roofus, but Cosmo does look like he always belonged right there in the center of his family!

Sew said...

I am so sorry about Roofus! Cosmo is beautiful! I can't believe you were able to keep the secret from us for that long! :)

Oh about the dinner we had yesterday. Get this...Hubby calls says I don't have to cook because two guys at his office went out to eat and have left over wings. So I was like great, I get to stay home all day and not cook. Even better. Hubby was at the office all day alone so he didn't go there. :) Thought I would add that! But when he got home I was a little surprised to see the box in my house! :) Thought I would fill you in, not that it crossed your mind. Just forget we ever had this conversation! I don't know what i am trying to say!!!

Brenda said...

Poor Rufus. But Cosmo seems like a Cosmo, reminds me of Kramer with all his weird idiosyncracies! I can't believe he likes water.

nicole said...

Sounds like you got a great cat. I'm sorry you had to say goodbye to Roofus. My husband and kids are campaigning for cats these days. We'll see if they can wear me down.

Anonymous said...

I love cats, and Cosmo sounds great! Our cat used to drink out of the sink, but he didn't like water getting on his head!

Anonymous said...

I'd respond but a certain cat is walking aciqwercross the keyqewmvaboard making it 923dfricult to t.mype

Ouiz said...

Congratulations on your new kitty! That's excellent! (I'm so sorry about Rufus, though. It's never easy to say goodbye).

(we had a cat who refused to drink from his water dish. He would jump up on the bathroom counter and meow, and we had to turn the water on for him... just a trickle... so he could have fresh running water. Bizarre)

Jen L said...

Poor Roofus! I liked that cat. However Cosmo seems like a wonderful fit. I can't wait to meet him. I miss our old cat too. We were actually thinking of getting Jack a new kitty when the baby comes and calling it present to him from the baby... I would hope we could be as lucky to find a perfect fit. How did you decide on him from the Humane Society? Was were the deciding factors?

Beth said...

Thanks everyone! He is a good kitty. We did name him after Cosmo Kramer :)

And Fuzz, I looked on petfinder.com and saw a kitty I liked over there. So we went to visit and found Cosmo there. They have a ton of cats and he was our favorite!

We were looking for short hair this time, loveable, good with kids, and he is front declawed. We werent' necessarily looking for that but it was nice. Plus he's a little older, litterboxx trained, etc... he's great!

FloridaWife said...

Ha! Cosmo. Here I am telling Cathy to name hers Orbit, and here you have Cosmo. (Although I understand named after Kramer.)

bren j. said...

Some friends of ours have a cat named Cosmo - he replaced Orion. Your Cosmo looks like a great cat - very handsome.