One of Madeleine's favorite books is Madeline - the original. (Thank you Susan!) On one page ("and sometimes they were very sad") it shows the little girls looking at a wounded soldier - his leg is in a cast. Madeleine always stops at this page and says "Leg hurt! Girls help!" She is really concerned about him and wants the girls to help him. She usually gives him a kiss too and says "Make him feel better." One day I told her that the girls could help by saying prayers for him and asking God to help him. So now when she sees him she says "Girls say prayers and help him!" I also told her that when she saw someone who was hurt or sad that she could say some prayers and ask God to help them.
This morning we went to Barnes and Nobles and I got her a Charlie Brown Christmas book to look at. She saw Charlie crying on one page and said, "Boy hurt, Madeleine kiss it. Madeleine say prayers help him." Wow I was impressed. Then she gave him a kiss.
So this afternoon we went to a birthday party and someone was playing a video game. It was a cartoon but it involved someone being hurt. I looked over at her and she was silently watching the tv with her eyes filled with tears!!! It absolutely broke my heart into pieces. They turned it off and she wanted me to hold her and hug her for a minute. I was so sad that she saw that and I hope she forgets that she saw it. But I hope she never loses this sensitive, gentle quality. I can see that she really cares for other people already, and I'm SO proud of her for that.
8 comments:
She is a sweetie.
What a sweet girl she is!
The innocence is so refreshing!
this is probably my favorite post of yours!
Oh, how darling she is... thank God for the blessed soul that she has... that He knitted and has known from the beginning of time... and that you are gifted with being her mother! What joy!
This is weird... as I'm typing I'm realizing that I had a dream about you last night, Beth... haha... I've never met you! In the dream you were my next door neighbor and Madeleine was swimming in a tiny kiddie pool while I was visiting. Too funny!
ALso, I've never commented on the fact that you have family in Providence! My family lives right near there and my grandparents live in Prov... whereabouts do they live?
SOrry for the long comment! Longwinded this SUnday am!
That was a beautiful post! When I read that her eyes were filled with tears, I started to tear up!
She cares for others because she has such wonderful examples in you and Ken!
i love this child!
What a sweet story!
Since we both have Madeleines, I'll pass this on to you--we spelled Madeleine the French way on purpose (my husband has a French minor) and purchased the French version of Madeline which is...Madeleine...from Amazon. (I'm just trying to see how many times I can fit that beautiful name into a paragraph.)
I can't read it but my husband can!
Post a Comment