That's Madeleine's new favorite phrase - she says it multiple times a day :) When we leave somewhere she says "Bye guys! See ya later!" I love that kid.
Say a little prayer for Ken, the best dad ever. He had a rough night. Madeleine's been having some, let's say, tummy troubles. We bought some disposable diapers but since she went once today I thought we were ok. Unfortunately, I was wrong. Ken had to take a cloth diaper outside and spray it out with the hose! Then, she had another little incident in the bathtub. That was even worse. Poor Ken had to deal with a lot of crap today :) He hates poop too, but he didn't even complain.
We've been having some good days - yesterday we went to the playground, fed the ducks and fish, and also rosary group. Today we went to Story hour at Barnes and Nobles. It was just getting too boring sitting around here, so most of these things I can mostly sit around. Madeleine LOVES story hour. She knows all the songs they sing and all the hand motions. Mother Goose reads the story and Goosey Goose visits every week. That is her FAVORITE part. I have another ultrasound in one week - next Wednesday - and hopefully I'll get the all clear.
Oh, by the way, does anyone have any ideas on how to get a toddler to actually listen? She loves to play outside in the front yard but she thinks it's really funny to try to run toward the street. She doesn't stop when I say stop, so I have to run after her. Then I take her inside immediately and tell her we can't play outside if she won't listen and stop running toward the street. She doesn't care. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
4 comments:
Assuming that you do not care to apply a firm swat to the diaper area that is well padded with those loverly diapers of hers :-) then repetition is a good thing.
Bring out a little chair and as soon as this happens - sit her in it as a time out - for 1 - 2 minutes. Then she is allowed up BUT as soon as she does it again - back on the chair. She will soon realize that not stopping as soon as you say STOP - ends in a very boring situation.
Taking her inside is simply offering a distraction, and I bet she just moves on and plays with something else - forgetting why she has come inside...
Let me know if it helps. :-)
Blessings
Christi
Sure, I know how to get them to listen!
1.) Give toddler instructions.
2.) Wait 30 years.
Taaaa-daaaa!
Not a whole lot of experience here (obviously) but we have found with C that a secluded time-out works really well for him - we use the playpen (since we don't use it for anything else ;o). Also we alwats say the same thing right before he's going to get timeout and sometimes just the saying stops his behavior.
Same concept as Christi's suggestions basically.
Toddlers don't listen, they just don't and unfortunatly at moments that they arn't in danger we tend to smile at their naughtiness...so, they don't know the difference. I am not above a swat on a well padded rump when needed...drastic danger, calls for drastic discipline. Usually I opt for the sitting them down and giving them the "look", it seems to snap them out of their naughtiness fun, and put them into a "hey, this isn't fun anymore" frame of mind. No matter what though, toddlers are not listeners by nature so we have to be diligent and consistent when we decide something is punishable..like running toward to street. Good luck!
Wow, she says "See ya later" how cute it that. I would find it impossible to discipline her too!
Post a Comment