Monday, May 19, 2008

Just a few more days

And we're heading to the beach!! Madeleine played in Ava and Grace's sandbox on Friday afternoon for an hour and LOVED it. It was her first sand experience. She didn't even try to eat it, just played. I think she'll love the beach. We bought her a little life vest type thing yesterday, just for a little extra safety in the ocean. Now this week we'll be working on getting her to wear a hat.

What should I pack? And any travel tips with a busy toddler who likes to "alk" (walk) all the time? We are flying standby, but hopefully she will get her own seat with her carseat, so I think that will be good. She does great in her carseat. If we don't get her a seat... well I don't even want to think about that! Our flight leaves around 7am on Friday, so we'll be getting her up early.

Let's see.... for her - bathing suit, cover up and towel, swim diapers, sunhat, sunglasses (she's actually pretty good at wearing those), sunscreen (spf 60 - that should do it!) life vest, snacks, drinks, toys and books, clothes, jammies, baby shampoo, diapers, wipes, silky blanket, etc . I figure when we get there we can go to the grocery store and get some food for her and a little pail and shovel or some other beach toys.

Ugh, trying to pack lightly with a baby seems impossible! Luckily they have cribs where we're staying so I won't be bringing the pack n play this time.

I'm really excited, and a little nervous too. She has NO fear. I hope our friends still want to hang out with us after this trip!! I hope she gets enough sleep and is not super cranky, and I hope we all have a great time!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will be great fun for all of you. We just got back from Myrtle Beach on Friday and Quinn had a blast!! She loved the sand and all you should need is a little pail and shovel for that. Quinn also loved going in the ocean and splashing in the waves! I didn't use a vest or anything for that but for the pool we used arm floaties. I posted pics on facebook and myspace if you want to check them out
The only bad part maybe hauling everything down to the beach through the sand. We drove to the beach so we brought a wagon and Quinn's couple car.
Oh one thing you may want is watershoes or sandals or crocs for the beach because the sand can get hot!
Did you get M a rashguard? Those work great because they have the spf protection as well.
I can't think of anything else other than have fun and call me when you get back because we leave for Indy this Friday and we are staying for a couple of weeks!
Oh which beach are you going to?

Beth said...

Oh thanks Megan!
We do have some watershoes that used to be Ava's - but I think they're size 5 and we just bought Madeleine her first shoes and they were 3.5! So I will have to try them on and see if they work. She is still mostly crawling though!

We're going to Daytona and staying right on the water, so we won't have too far to haul things. But you brought up a good point - maybe I need a beach bag or something like that.

Yes we got her a rashguard with little sleeves from Target - 11 bucks and so cute!

We're getting back on Sunday so we are definitely up for a playdate next week!

Kathryn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathryn said...

Water shoes run smaller than regular shoes so the size 5's may be perfect!!

Enjoy your beach time, it sounds to me like your all set!

Brenda said...

Hey, what's a "rashguard" specifically? We are heading to the beach first week of June. Glad you are doing it before me:) p.s. the dollar store had tons of cool sand/water stuff.

Beth said...

I think a rashguard is a little bathing suit shirt (like a two piece with a shirt top and a regular bottom) that has spf 50. They have them at Target, Old Navy, I've seen them a bunch of places. Hopefully it'll protect her shoulders. That's the only one I have bought but somehow my kid has a TON of swimsuits!

Veronica said...

Have a blast, Beth..it sounds like you are well prepared!! Can't wait to see some beach pics of your cutie!