Thursday, February 28, 2008

What a difference a year makes!

Today Mom, Ava, Madeleine and I went to the mall to try to find a 1st birthday dress for her party on Sunday. (She can also wear it for Easter and Sarah and Chris's wedding.) We didn't get anything for the kids because it was all summer stuff - sun dresses and a bunch of sleeveless stuff. That's not going to work for these three events. I found some great deals for myself at Macys - a shirt to wear for the party for $12, and two pairs of leather boots - black and brown - for $7 each! How could I pass that up?
Anyway, we had a great time shopping and eating lunch at the mall (and have you noticed that the 4 of us hang out a LOT?!)

But I was thinking back to what I was doing a year ago. I was HUGELY pregnant, and had been told by my OB to expect to go early because I had been dilated for several weeks. (No such luck, the kid only came 2 hours and 10 minutes before her due date!) I worked up to the Friday before I had her (on a Monday.) I was definitely ready to have her ANY TIME. I absolutely could not wait to meet her and have her on the outside instead of the inside!

Here's what I was doing on the 26th the 27th and the 28th of February last year.

I had absolutely no idea what to expect back then - about labor and delivery, about life with a baby, about what she would be like, or about what I would be like as a mother. I really had no idea that she'd be the sweetest, cutest, most lovable baby that was ever born :) But I can honestly say this has been, by far, the best year of my life. And since she gets more fun every day, I can't even imagine how great this year will be.

8 comments:

Kathryn said...

It just gets better and better! It is hard to imagine your life before her, right? With each of my kids I have a hard time believing we every existed without them and then to think back to a year before each one became a part of our lives it is stunning, how did we ever make it without them!

Veronica said...

How fun to reflect baby on that time last year. It sure feels better to have them on the outside. 1 Year olds are so much fun, their personalities just blossom!

Brenda said...

I can't believe she's one either! Didn't we just HAVE these babies??? I'm so happy for you guys! It has been a really great year for all of us and we are so lucky all things considered. And I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who hadn't been out to dinner alone with my husband yet!

Cathy said...

Conversation of Sunday evening:

Waiter at AWESOME Morton's Steakhouse:
"Are you celebrating anything special tonight?"

Me: "Well, it's our first night out since the bayybeee."

W.A.A.M.S.: "Ohhhh, congratulations!"

Me: "Yeahhhh, she just turned a year old last week."

W.A.A.M.S.: "Oh that's --- do what now? Are you serious?"

Me: "Yes, yes I am."

We were paying with a special promo coupon - it was dirt cheap and the best dinner I've ever had. I handed the waiter the coupon thing and he went to enter it into the computer.
A few minutes later, he came back and said, "If you manage to make it out in the next year, come back and see us again, same deal. Here's your coupon back."

I could have cried. It was so sweet and I realized that I had just had an entire meal without pulling out Cheerios, sippy cups, diapers, Tiggers, or anything of that nature.

It was weird, and I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but it was nice to be able to devote my entire attention to my husband. We talked about adult stuff and both of us made it through the entire meal without saying, "Peek-a-boo!"

Anyway...

You are not alone, homebody sisters!

Beth said...

Ha! Maybe I SHOULD go on a date with just Ken one of these days.... we'll see :)

Beck said...

One already! Amazing!

Meredith said...

We just got money from some kind relatives for a belated Valentine's treat. It's enough for a nice dinner...I have no idea when we'll get around to that! It's nice to know that I'm not alone!

Beth, I love thinking back to the days before my kids were born, especially as birthdays approach. Isn't it amazing?! I found your blog though a comment you left on Danielle's while you were pregnant. I had to stick around until your baby was born, and I'm still here! How awesome, to share a whole year of life with someone cool you've never met, but you know you'd get along great with in "real life."

Angela said...

I can't wait to see the pictures from her party!