Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Random things

We went to the 5:30 mass on Sunday, which was a big mistake. Usually we go to 8am, and she's still just drowsy enough to behave herself. 5:30 - 6:45 at night is not a good time for her. She wasn't BAD, per se. But she yapped and yapped and yapped. The kind of loud yap where you're not sure if she's going to be quiet soon or keep going. So I spent most of mass thinking to myself, "Should I take her out or try to wait and see if she quiets down?" She just learned a new word, Ball, and she was practicing. Here's how it went:

Father: "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit..."

Madeleine, very loudly, "Ball! Ball! Ball! Ball! Ball!"

Everyone, "I confess to almighty God, and to you my brothers and sisters..."

Madeleine, "Ball! Ball! Ball! Ball! Ball!"

I finally did end up taking her out, and sat in the narthex on the floor in front of a huge picture of Pope Benedict. As soon as she saw the picture, she was enthralled, and kept reaching both arms up to it like she wanted him to pick her up. I told her that was Papa, and she started saying that. "Papa! Papa! Papa!" She's a loud one. I think we're sticking with 8am from now on.

Yesterday, Ken had practice with Sarah. We joined them for dinner (thanks Sarah!) Madeleine likes to flirt with the bass player. She smiles and waves at him, does "So Big" and everything else she can think of to impress him. He was telling us that his 26 year old sister has cancer, and the doctors just told them that they couldn't do anything. Chemo won't work because it's in her liver, and they can't do radiation because it's in all the lymph nodes surrounding her heart. So please pray for their family! When he was talking about this, Madeleine reached up and gave him a hug! She is the sweetest baby ever. Ken and I later thought that she could tell he was sad.

And pray for Ken too. And if anyone knows any attorney jobs around here..... let us know!

Sorry this turned into a depressing post! I'll do better next time!

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Wish y'all were in Chicago.
:(

Madeleine is so smart and has such good language skills!

(Mary doesn't ever make it through an entire Mass these days. "Da! Da!" just to hear her echo. Sigh.)

Beck said...

Oh, that's so lovely about Madeline hugging the bass player, poor fella. I'll keep his family in my prayers.

Kathryn said...

Wow, Madeleine already shows the signs of a sensitive soul...what a wonderful baby girl!