Monday, October 29, 2007

Near horrible disaster

Yesterday we went to 8am mass, as usual. Madeleine was being a little "talkative" so we sat in the back. She was really good, just a little loud. Anyway, Ken and I were supposed to hand out bags for Brown Bag Sunday after mass, so before Communion I put her in her sling. At our Church, the back row starts the communion procession and the first row is last. So, we were pretty close to the front of the line. I walked up and received the host on my tongue, then went over to receive the cup. It was VERY full. As soon as I took it in my hand, Madeleine made a grab. I held it up very quickly (but carefully) and just handed it back to the Eucharistic Minister. Wow. Visions of the Blood of Christ all over the floor. We might have had to switch parishes. I think I'll stick with the Body of Christ for a while!

Otherwise, we had a great weekend. Good naps, our usual Barnes and Nobles dates, beautiful fall weather, visit from Lori (my best friend from college), and the Colts won!

7 comments:

Cathy said...

"Near horrible disaster"

You've got that right.

And as Forrest would say, "That's about all I have to say about that."

Well, not really, but that's all I'm GOING to say about that.
;)

(P.S. What is Brown Bag Sunday? I'm intrigued!)

Beth said...

Brown Bag Sunday. We hand out brown bags from the grocery store with lists attached to them of what the Trinity Free Clinic needs. People bring them all back to the clinic the next week. It's on the church grounds.

Check it out: www.trinityfreeclinic.org

That was the old convent! Now they have a really nice new one.

Veronica said...

Oh goodness..I've never seen a spill, but once the Eucharistic Minister was an elderly man who started having a shakey arm, and the Blood was splashing around the rim and some drops fell to the floor. Several people noticed all at once and went to get the special cloth they use for cleaning the Chalice, but for a minute there I was really freaked out and though I don't have really long hair, the desire to mop it up with my hair entered my mind, something I had never even though of before!
Glad you had a good weekend! :)

Cathy said...

Thanks, Beth, that sounds wonderful.

Kathryn said...

OMG! That would have been really hard to get over, no matter how many people told you it was okay, or not to worry...it would have been a hard one to overcome! Looks like the Holy Spirit was helping you hold the chalice!

nicole said...

I am always afraid I'm going to drop the cup during the handoff from the EM. Sometimes I skip it just b/c of that!

bren j. said...

I'm not Catholic, but I know that's a huge deal so - PHEW!!! Isn't there a special ceremonial cleaning that has to happen if some is spilled?