Saturday, September 22, 2007

Nails on a Chalkboard

We just got back from Mass. It was in a big amphitheater. I really tried hard to just pay attention and I had to keep reminding myself that it was still Mass and the Eucharist! First I saw a lady with a name tag that said Sister Tess. Good thing she had a name tag because with her white capris with flamingos on them and pink shirt, who could tell?! She was sitting behind me and said the responses with all inclusive language, like ".... for the praise and glory of God's name, for our good and the good of all God's church." Then the communion meditation song was THE WORST I have heard. The first line was "Share healing" and it just got worse from there. It was the most watered down crap I have ever HEARD at Mass. I guess I'm very blessed not to have to deal with any of this stuff at our church. (Sorry I used the word "crap," Mom. I can hear your "disappointed click" from here! But it was necessary in this case!)

Sorry, just had to vent! We're all going to bed now :)

8 comments:

Heather said...

Sometimes I get really frustrated with large church services in places wtih bad acustics. (sp?) Because it is so hard to hear . . . and understand. Hope you have a safe trip home. Love, Heather

Ouiz said...

Welcome to my world... every week. Pretty frustrating!

Beth said...

Ouiz, you have got to come to OLMC. It's awesome.

And my friends have been singing that song all day just to torment me!

Lori said...

I believe we are called to live this life with intensity, to always search for what our heart longs for, beauty, truth, justice. Sometimes we have to work harder to see the beauty, and it is our responsibility to do that work. But Christ wants to answer our longing. We all get frustrated from time to time in the different and difficult situations we encounter, but that doesn't excuse us from doing the work to look for the beauty or truth in that encounter.

Beck said...

I feel the same away about my church right now - but I'm torn about leaving because I'm very attached to the congregation and because my children are so much at home there. :(

Heather said...

I agree with Lori but I also disagree. I beleive that there is so much negativity in this world that it is sometimes hard to search for what our heart longs for. However, I also feel that sometimes trying to put on a "big show" gets in the way of bringing out the beauty in a service.

Ouiz said...

Beth -- you mean come BACK to OLMC? *grin* I went there for years... although it wasn't much to write home about back in the early 80s. The choir was behind the altar then, and we sang the same GATHER hymns that haunt me wherever I go!

Why, Lord, why? *grin*

I have endured all sorts of "Mass in the round" experiences, inclusive language garbage, and even had... get this... a parish priest who wore SMILEY FACE vestments back in the 70s.

Horrifying.

Is it any wonder I ran screaming when I went to college?

PRAISE GOD you have such a good parish now!!!!!!! I envy that. I really do! I'll bet you've got such wonders as:

THE TABERNACLE actually IN the church

Stained glass

Kneelers

Statues

Stations of the Cross


Unfortunately, we don't have any of that here... *sad face*

xxxxxx said...

That's life in Milwaukee. We have to travel to get to decent Norvus ORdo. But what a norvus Ordo!