I was interested in cloth diapers before she was born, mostly because I saw how much the family I work for paid for their diapers, and also because I kind of like the idea of soft cotton instead of plastic on her little bum. In my research about endo, one of the things that they suspect has something to do with it is the use of bleached products (tampons, etc) in that area. Endo is also thought to be genetic, so I want to give her every chance to NOT get it.
But we started with disposables anyway, mostly because of the up-front cost of cloth, and for the convenience of course. It turned out they were not as convenient as I thought. Basically I had to change her outfit every time she pooped. (And believe me, I tried every brand.) Then the poor thing got a rash that would not go away, no matter what I did. We switched to Seventh Generation Diapers and that helped quite a bit, but they are really expensive.
Then I finally ordered a few Bumgenius diapers, and they were great. No more blowouts, and her rash went completely away. I only got 4 of them because they were so expensive, but I was using them and doing laundry every day. That got annoying really fast.
Here's Madeleine in her pink bumgenius.
So now I have enough to wash every other day and use them full time, except I still use a seventh generation disposable at night, for convenience. I'm going to place another few orders and hopefully we'll have enough to let me do laundry a little less often.
I just do a short cold rinse to help prevent stains, then a long hot wash with Charlie's Soap. Then throw everything in the dryer (except I hang dry the covers and they dry overnight.)
For work, I just pack about 6 of them and take a tote bag to put the used ones in until we get home. I do that when we go out too. We have an extra large bag at home.
I was kind of nervous about the whole thing at first, but it really is no big deal. And surprisingly, I really like it! I love making her feel all nice and clean at diaper changes, and wrapping her up with soft cotton. We take our time, I let her air out, and we talk and I kiss all over her tummy. I really enjoy diaper changes - it's bonding time.
Here are three great posts about cloth diapering.
Now, we'll see if I still like it this much when she starts solid food.... :)
9 comments:
Yeah, you finally did the cloth diaper post...and with pics (such a great cloth diaper model)!
Kathryn
I've done cloth off and on. Like you, I love the softness of the cloth diapers! For child #3 (boy) I did unbleached Chinese prefolds with Bumpy covers from when he was about 1.5 to 3. For child #5 (girl) I did WAHM fitteds with Motherease covers for her first year. For child #6 (girl) I did Fuzzibunz all in ones for her first couple of months. The cost for me was a toss up... it's expensive to wash and dry. And my front loader washer, though awesome on clothing, doesn't soak very well and I would have to wash them twice to get them smelling good. I gave it up, lost in a sea of laundry with our large family already.. and went to disposable for good. I still miss cloth though!
PS Madeleine looks soooo cute in hers!
Okay, so you mentioned bleached tampons and not liking them. You also mentioned that you wanted to save some money. I have quite a few friends that use this; it’s called a Diva Cup, and they love it.
Just wanted to share because I know women haven't really heard of it. Sorry if I got to personal! :o)
www.divacup.com
Good for you for taking the plunge. I have some guilt about how many disposable diapers are in landfills because of my children, but have not been brave enough to take the cloth step. Maybe I'll give it a try with baby #5. We'll see.
My thoughts are that babies in cloth diapers may train faster. There is more motivation!
Regardless of the reasons, she looks sooooo sweet and cute in them! And the mention of the diva cup made me remember that there is a great website called www.mothersmilkboutiqe.com that has them as well as bras, and slings and such. They offer FREE shipping on the bras I know b/c that's where I get mine but don't know about other merchandise. Very nice site and family run.
Hi Beth,
I have been following your blog for a while now - I'm a fan! Madeleine is beautiful, she has the prettiest eyes!!
Okay, I'm behind the ball here. Maybe you won't even read this comment...
Just wondering what you do for night time. I did cloth at night when Baby was still getting up every two hours. But since he started sleeping longer stretches, and now all night, he would be totally soaked in the morning. So we use disposable at night.
I love my DivaCup, Diva Cup!! Should have been using this years ago. The best price I found is at South Coast Shopping for only $17.99 and arrived in only 2 days! Model 1 and Model 2
Post a Comment