Sunday, April 29, 2007

Good baby

Yesterday was a busy day for us! We had 1st communion at OLMC. The kids were SO cute in their little white dresses and veils, and little suits and ties. The twins I used to watch for 2 years made their first communion yesterday, and so did Madeleine's Godparents' daughter. So Madeleine was a perfect angel through the whole mass, except when the mob streamed out into the narthex after mass - scared the kid half to death! Poor thing. Then we went to Madison's party. Madison's dad (Madeleine's Godfather) made a beautiful toast to his daughter. He said that he was going to make decisions that she wouldn't necessarily like, but that was ok, because when he gets to heaven, God wouldn't ask him how many material possessions he had, but if he had taught his children about Him. And he would be able to say yes. Then Madison thanked everyone for coming and sharing her special day.
Sarah and Ken played a few songs for the kids, and of course they were a hit! And Madeleine got to see her daddy perform for the first time. She loved the music.

Then we got to go home for about an hour, then went out to dinner with some friends. I was a little nervous about that because the evening is generally her fussy time, but she was great! I just had to go out to the car and feed her when the check came. Then we went to Frassati to hear Dr. James Keating. I didn't get to hear too much of that, but I did hang out in the back with all the other moms and babies, and then in the nursery, which was fun. Actually for the past several years I always wanted to be one of the moms hanging out in the back of the room!

Ken said Dr. Keating was excellent. I did hear him say that if a person is depressed, they should think about what they are putting in their minds, what they are listening to, reading, or watching on TV. He also said that sometimes it hurts to change your ways and let Jesus take over your life, but the hurt is always worth the change.

And of course she was a perfect angel in Mass again today. The kid screamed through her whole baptism, but she's been great at Mass every week since. She attracts a lot of attention too!

She does have kind of a stuffy nose, and kept us up from about 2-4am last night. We tried saline and suction and a humidifier. Any more suggestions?
It's such a beautiful day today, we are going to have to get outside.

3 comments:

Anne said...

It is lovely outside! I enjoy hearing about all your adjustments to family life with a baby.

5 more weeks to go for us!!!

Cathy said...

Sounds like a REALLY busy day!
I didn't know this until recently, but almost EVERY baby has a fussy time in the evening.
They cry at this time sometimes not because they are tired, or hungry, but because they are releasing the built-up stress from the day.
I have found that the only solution (and it doesn't always work, but most of the time) for Mary is to wrap her in a blankie and hold her close. She almost always calms right down and closes her eyes.
I don't know what to do about M's sniffles.
:(
I had an annoying cold recently, and I couldn't exactly stay away from Mary (we were sans Dad, on vacation) so I didn't stress - I just figured it would be good practice for her immune system. Of course, she never got the cold.
But I did buy some infant Tylenol cold/cough just in case.
:)
I hope M's nose clears up soon!

Brenda said...

wow, we almost have parallel lives. maggie had the whole stuffy nose and misery a few weeks ago too. maybe it's a newborn thing. how was your first week of work? i thought about you all week when I was exhausted and then thought of how you were handling 2 extra. how old is Madeline now? I can't remember. hope you are well. i really enjoy your blog. she is so sweet! wish we lived closer to have the girls play!